Options

Advice needed for replacing Netgear with Cisco 2801

cjthedj45cjthedj45 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi

I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice. I have spoken with our ISP regarding replacing their Netgear Router with a Cisco 2801 router. I'm using the public ip address of the old netgear as the outside interface on the 2801 and they have also sent me the default gateway to use. When I disconnect the Netgear and use the same RJ11 cable the link light on the router does not come up. The Outside interface is not shut so I'm unsure why the link is not coming up. I wondered if a different cable was required any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Could be a cable issue or keep alives aren't on.

Totally missed that he said RJ-11, sorry.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    cjthedj45 wrote: »
    the same RJ11 cable the link light on the router does not come up.
    RJ11.... so some sort of DSL?

What kind of DSL service? What kind of interface in the 2801? And what Netgear? And other than no shutting the 2801 interface -- did you do any other configurations?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Wow thanks for the quick responses. Its a Netgear DG834GT ADSL router the connector that I took from the Netgear is an RJ11 connector the other end is what you would put into a phone socket. The phyiscal interface on the 2801 is below:

interface FastEthernet0/0
    description Internet Outside Interface
    ip address 77.221.166.193 255.255.255.240
    duplex auto
    speed auto

The ISP seems to think that I should just be able to change the IP address and swap the netgear out. However this does not seem to be the case as no link light is displayed. KNWMINUS when you say cable issue do you mean that I need a different cable? I was thinking this could be a possibilty as the RJ11 would be analogue and I wondered if that would work in the Cisco router? The cable is not defective though as it works normally in the Netgear. I have no routing protocol enabled as Im using router on a stick configuration so keep alives would not be relevant I believe.

I have not played with the config much as I'm not sure what else to do other than the configuration the isp has given me. I did try using an rj11 to rj45 connector and plugging this into the router but it made no difference. This is the first time I have had to do this so not sure what else to do.

here is the email from the isp

Currently your broadband public IP is 79.141.131.57, these additional IP’s are routed through this connection.

So if you turn NAT off this router and config the LAN interface to be 77.221.166.193, you can then set additional devices behind the router to use the additional IP’s assigned to your connection using the 193 IP as the default gateway.
  • Options
    An RJ11 will fit in a RJ45 Ethernet Jack -- but it doesn't work that way.

Either the Netgear has an Ethernet port and you can bridge the netgear & 2801 to pass the outside IP to the 2801 -- or you need an ADSL interface in the 2801.
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    An RJ11 will fit in a RJ45 Ethernet Jack -- but it doesn't work that way.

Either the Netgear has an Ethernet port and you can bridge the netgear & 2801 to pass the outside IP to the 2801 -- or you need an ADSL interface in the 2801.

Hi Mike so are you saying I need another cable? That is if the RJ11 does not work when plugging into the Cisco Router? I dont think their is an ADSL interface on the Cisco Router. When you say bridge the connection do you mean that I would keep the Netgear plugged in and use one of its ethernet ports to connect an rj45 between the netgear and cisco router? Thanks for your help. If I do not reply for a while it is becuase I'm just about to watch 2012 and the missues is moaning for me for doing work Lol! Thanks for all your help and quick replys its much appreciated.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    You need to buy a ADSL HWIC. You can't just plug the phone line into an Ethernet socket even though it may physically fit.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    You need to buy a ADSL HWIC. You can't just plug the phone line into an Ethernet socket even though it may physically fit.

Ah! Tiersten got ya. It does not have that interface so I will need to buy it. Or I get the impression from Mike that I may be able to bridge the connection with the exsisting netgear router is this right?
  • Options
    I may be able to bridge the connection with the exsisting netgear router is this right?
    Maybe -- but why were you looking to replace the Netgear (which I assume is configured and working)?

What would the 2801 going to do that the Netgear isn't doing?

If you're getting rid of the Netgear, then you need the proper DLS interface card for the 2801.

Is this a work production thing? Or is this a home or home/small office/business thing?
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Maybe -- but why were you looking to replace the Netgear (which I assume is configured and working)?

What would the 2801 going to do that the Netgear isn't doing?

If you're getting rid of the Netgear, then you need the proper DLS interface card for the 2801.

Is this a work production thing? Or is this a home or home/small office/business thing?

Hi Mike yes its a work thing, its actually my first real major network task. I have been asked to design a test network with a server and DMZ Vlan. I have a 3750 switch and the 2801 router. A proxy and exchange server need access to the internet so we are using the adsl connection we have. I'm surprised the senior network engineer did not spot the fact that we would need a new interface card. It sounds like the company will have to be buy the new card or if we can bridge the connection using the netgear then we will have to try this. Do you know if bridging the connection with the Netgear is possible and pretty straight forward? Thanks again for all the help.
  • Options
    ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    It sounds like the company will have to be buy the new card or if we can bridge the connection using the netgear then we will have to try this. Do you know if bridging the connection with the Netgear is possible and pretty straight forward? Thanks again for all the help.

Just do a web search for the netgear model about putting it into bridge mode.
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
  • Options
    Cisco has a bazillion configuration examples for lots of different scenarios -- one of them (or pieces of several) could be useful.....
    Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line (ADSL) Configuration Examples and TechNotes - Cisco Systems
  • Options
    cheers Mike and Constantly Learning. I had a slight set back when I got to work to configure the router. The isp had assiged the IP block to wrong netgear router. The senior network engineer thinks that I should be able to keep the current public ip address as the outside interface and an address from the range that the ISP has assigned us as the inside outface on the netgear router. The inside IP address will also be the default gateway of the cisco router. I will also use one of the addresses from the ISP as the Outside interface on the Cisco router. So the traffic will be routed from the inside to internet as below

Outside Cisco Router 77.221.166.193 /28
    Inside Netgear 77.221.166.194 /28 (also the Default gateway on the Cisco Router)
    Outside Netgear 79.141.131.57 (Public IP)

I'm going to try the above tomorrow so fingers crossed.