Options

New mbx database in Exch07

mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
I have Exchange 2007 SP2 with all roles on a single 2008 SP2 server. I want to create a new storage group and database and move some mailboxes to it. When doing this with a test mailbox, all messages send to or from that mailbox get stuck in the queue, labelled unreachable. The error is "There is currently no route to the mailbox database." I've tried this twice.
Do I just need to create the database and just leave it for a while or am I missing a step?

Also is there any issue moving the First Storage Group? I accidentally left it on the C: drive during the install. There's about 5 malboxes that I can't afford to disrupt.

Comments

• Options
    luckybobluckybob Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    As far as the second mailbox store, I am not a 100% without looking it up. With the mailbox store being on the c: drive, just dismount the store, move it to second drive/SAN and remount. There will be downtime while you copy the mailbox store, but it should not create issues if it is done during maintenance or off hours.
  • Options
    Cool thanks. I'll just schedule a time and move the First Store.

I waited a day and the new database sorted itself out. I can now move my mailbox to it and have it work fine.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Just about every configuration change in Exchange has an undocumented step of 'wait for AD replication'. It can be a real pain when you are dealing with remote sites on custom replication schedules.
  • Options
    Claymoore wrote: »
    Just about every configuration change in Exchange has an undocumented step of 'wait for AD replication'. It can be a real pain when you are dealing with remote sites on custom replication schedules.

Yep, a real pain when in a hurry, or panicking to make urgent "corrections". icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Claymoore wrote: »
    Yup that's why I learned how to do most of those tasks via PowerShell - just so I could specify -DomainController etc. ;)