Cisco's definition for the term Circuit

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
So the word Circuit keeps popping up in Odom's book and there isn't a definition in the Glossary.

Can anyone define Circuit in the context of the CCNA?
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• rackemuprackemup Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi JockVSJock,

From what I understand, a circuit is an established path between two network devices before information is exchanged.

I try to picture a "physical" connection similar to a basic electrical circuit, though I keep it in the back of my mind that the "circuit" is a LOGICAL connection.

My apologies if my attempt to help just made things worse...

As small as my contribution is, I hope it helped a bit.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    it's referring to a data circuit, which is a term that originated with the telecoms. It is, essentially, the media and the equipment used for data transmission between different points. Ie, a T1, T3, etc
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    The reason I ask is because in Chp 4, which deals with Fundamentals of WANS, it gets thrown around alot with Leased Lines examples, however the book never comes out and says, "this is a Leased Line..."

Leased Line = Circuit, correct?
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    JockVSJock wrote: »
    The reason I ask is because in Chp 4, which deals with Fundamentals of WANS, it gets thrown around alot with Leased Lines examples, however the book never comes out and says, "this is a Leased Line..."

Yes, as Forsaken said, "essentially, the media and the equipment used for data transmission between different points."
    CCNP :study:
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    JockVSJock wrote: »

Usually, yes (and I say that because there might be an instance where it's not true, but I've personally never seen one)

It's worth it to do a few google searches on telecom terminology. As a matter of fact, if I remember right, Network Warrior has a basic section on that, since modern internetworking pretty much grew up out of the telecom industry, so there's alot of carryover in concepts and lingo.

Normally when you order a connection from a provider, they'll give you a Circuit ID. It's considered best practice to put that circuit ID in the description of the interface that it's connected to, that way if you need to contact them, you don't have to go searching for paper work or email or anything like that, you have the information easily accessible