Options

Test Commands IOS

chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
I am wondering what the test commands are in IOS. Currently I have found some documentation, but either it is not working properly or we have a switch we need to RMA. It had a Gig Interface that is not working, and we need to test to confirm.
Currently Pursuing
WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
mikej412 wrote:
Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What commands are available will really depend on the type of device, but you can always try show tech or show controllers. Personally, I'd just plug something up. If it doesn't work RMA it.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply,

We usually like to have more proof than 'he said' in case someone questions the RMA.

It is a 3750 switch, with 4 gig interfaces. We did mess around with the test and diagnose commands, but neither of them tested the interfaces, and when you run the corresponding show command it does not even display any of the interfaces.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    chmorin wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply,

We usually like to have more proof than 'he said' in case someone questions the RMA.

It is a 3750 switch, with 4 gig interfaces. We did mess around with the test and diagnose commands, but neither of them tested the interfaces, and when you run the corresponding show command it does not even display any of the interfaces.

If you plug something into one port and it works fine, but not another then I don't really think you need much more proof. I've RMA'ed stuff with the same amount of proof with no issues.

I don't think there is a command that actually tests the functionality of an interface, but if show controllers doesn't show anything and you don't see anything jump out in show tech I'd just get a new switch. A reload might fix it for you, but you never know if the issue might pop back up out of no where. It sure sounds like a hardware failure to me.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Why is it that CATOS has very useful test commands, and IOS seems not to?
    Currently Pursuing
    mikej412 wrote: