Options

Need help troubleshooting custom PC

nx1nonx1no Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
I need help troubleshooting this custom PC. Here are the problems I'm having, and the build.

The installation of Windows 7 64 bit seems a little slower than normal, but not a big issue. After a certain amount of time in Windows (maybe 10-15 minutes) computer will either freeze and distort the screen a little bit (colors will stretch) or just restart on it's own.

I ran a diagnostic utility which reported all hardware as fine. This test was 8 hours, and didn't freeze nor restart.

Formatted the drive, tried to install Windows XP. After blue screen setup is done, it restarts to finish setup, and shows disk read error.

I've used different sata cables on different sata ports on the mobo. Still same issue.

AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0ghz Socket AM3 95W Quad Core Processor - Model HDX945WFGIBOX
ASUS CuCore Series EAH5770 Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express Video Card (Video Card is not Installed)
Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H AM3 AMD 785G Mobo
Nine Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Case
Corsair CMPSU-650 Watt PSU
Mushkin Blackline 4GB Memory (PC3 10666)
Western Digital 320GB Blue HD

Comments

• Options
    subl1m1nalsubl1m1nal Member Posts: 176
    Try updating the SATA controller drivers or chipset. In fact, make sure you update all drivers and flash the bios with the most current version.

Check the minidump files for any problems. Also uncheck auto restart on system failure.
    How to read the small memory **** files that Windows creates for debugging
    Currently Working On: 70-643 - Configuring Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure

Plans for 2010: MCITP:EA and CCNA
    70-648 - Done
    70-643 - In progress
    70-647 - Still on my list
    70-680 - Still on my list

www.coantech.com
    www.thecoans.net
    www.facebook.com/tylercoan
    www.twitter.com/tylercoan
    www.linkedin.com/users/tylercoan
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Run the windows memory diagnostic or Memtest and see if that reports anything.

If those come back clean, it's either a bum motherboard or, less likely, PSU.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    subl1m1nal wrote: »
    Try updating the SATA controller drivers or chipset. In fact, make sure you update all drivers and flash the bios with the most current version.

Check the minidump files for any problems. Also uncheck auto restart on system failure.
    How to read the small memory **** files that Windows creates for debugging

Looking at the **** files will help you a lot with this. Take the HDD to another computer to do it.
  • Options
    kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Make sure you perform a FULL format on the hard drive, not a quick format. Especially on a new hard drive. I just read that Windows 7 format is a little different from XP format. (haven't verified).

Run diagnostics for Western Digital hard drives from their website. Try another hard drive.

Most commonly BIOS or memory issues as posted by other members.

After running a memory diagnostic, try reducing the amount of RAM and then switching channels.

Doesn't look like an issue for your build, but disconnect all extra peripherals and cards, including:
    network cable, anything USB, secondary video cards, PCI: NIC cards, sound cards, firewire and USB cards, floppy drive, card reader, extra optical drives ect...

**** files are a great troubleshooting resource. I've looked at hundreds of **** files, and 95% of the time it will help you with your issue.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    My first guess is memory. Try as little as possible first then add the other sticks back.

Do you have it overclocked?