NM-4A/S 4 home lab problems

DeliriousDelirious Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
I purchased a NM-4A/S 4 about year ago off eBay and have just now gotten around to using it. The 2610 I'm using recognizes the ports fine but as soon as I enter the no shutdown command the router instantly reboots.

I have IOS (C2600-J1S3-M), Version 12.3(22) on the router along with two other WIC-1Ts.

I'm simply connecting 2 2610's and 1 2509 to this router using HDLC. Any router I connect to the NM-4A/S 4 ( I tried two of the ports on it) causes the reboot.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm hoping the whole unit isn't defective and I'm just doing something wrong?

Comments

• notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    Delirious wrote: »
    as soon as I enter the no shutdown command the router instantly reboots.

What??? That's crazy......
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Reseat the NM.
  • jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    tiersten wrote: »
    Reseat the NM.

Yep...happened to me the other day with an NM-8a/s in a 2620xm. Except I at least got a parser error before the reboot :) Just pull it out and reseat it as Tiersten said...you should be good to go after that.
  • DeliriousDelirious Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yep...happened to me the other day with an NM-8a/s in a 2620xm. Except I at least got a parser error before the reboot :) Just pull it out and reseat it as Tiersten said...you should be good to go after that.

Thanks for the suggestions all. Just to see what would happen I left the dte/dce cable unplugged from the 2600 and issued the no shutdown command and got the expect result of the line going down and no reboot. As soon as I put in the dte/dce cable in it immediately rebooted. icon_sad.gif I've tried all 3 of the dte/dce cables I have with the same results. The only thing left to try would be to put the NM in another one of the routers before calling it faulty.

If anything I'm definitely getting a troubleshooting workout from this.

****Update****

Behaves the same way in another 2600 so it must be the NM icon_sad.gif
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OUCH... that does sound like a bad NM. Word to the wise... always try to test stuff as soon as you get it from ebay... even if you don't need it at that moment, you can usually get refunded or an RMA. If I were you... I would still try to contact the seller... if it was a reseller... you may have a one year warranty on it. I know some of the ebay stores have this option. Hope this helps.
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
    OUCH... that does sound like a bad NM. Word to the wise... always try to test stuff as soon as you get it from ebay... even if you don't need it at that moment, you can usually get refunded or an RMA. If I were you... I would still try to contact the seller... if it was a reseller... you may have a one year warranty on it. I know some of the ebay stores have this option. Hope this helps.

Yeah I'm kicking myself for not testing it fully when I got it, I usually do everytime.
    If the connector on the back isn't damaged and you're sure that it is plugged in properly then yes, the NM is probably faulty.
    Yeah I'm kicking myself for not testing it fully when I got it, I usually do everytime.

Anytime I order anything from eBay, I always check it right away. It's like Xmas to me everytime UPS/FedEx is at my door. I am so impatient....
  • CyanicCyanic Member Posts: 289
    Be aware there are a ton of counterfeit modules that are sold on e-Bay. These may work fine for a while but they are made substandard so they will not hold up as well.
    Cyanic wrote: »
    Be aware there are a ton of counterfeit modules that are sold on e-Bay. These may work fine for a while but they are made substandard so they will not hold up as well.

Yup I'm pretty sure it was a counterfeit even though it came in a very genuine looking sealed Cisco box with documentation.

It seems like the genuine wic-1t's on ebay used go for 30+ dollars while the ones Im getting for 15-20 are probably counterfeit.

Wow, I was not aware of this. I know I've seen bogus v.35 cables floating around but not actual modules......is there any way to tell?
    Wow, I was not aware of this. I know I've seen bogus v.35 cables floating around but not actual modules......is there any way to tell?

Here is one particular module.

Counterfeit / Fake Cisco WIC-1DSU-T1 Guide - Andover Test

Entire switches have been counterfeited as well. It really is a gamble for us "home" users where we do not have official channels. Here is a list I have no idea when this was last updated. Most of the time the equipment will work, it just may not last long.

http://www.coastnetwork.com/ciscocounterfeitarticles/counterfeitciscopartnumbers.html

And even some supposedly trust worthy channels have problems. The US government has even purchased and used counterfeit Cisco equipment. Including the US NAVY and Marines. There was a guy recently in Houston who was prosecuted for selling the Marines counterfeit GBICS.

http://www.ice.gov/pi/nr/1001/100122houston.htm

Wow I just skimmed through that site that is amazing!!! How do these people do it? How do they even have the capacity to manufacture something that looks so authentic?

How do they figure out the programming/schematics involved to make the cards "work" as if they were Cisco....

It is indeed impressive....I hope to never get one though, and I highly expect sellers to not look at what they are selling because I'm sure they would want to get rid of it ASAP if they knew they had a fake...

I wonder why not just counterfeit an entire cisco router then? Why stop at just the modules?

I wonder why not just counterfeit an entire cisco router then? Why stop at just the modules?

They have, see my edited post above.
    They have, see my edited post above.

Wow that is amazing, I'm almost tempted to look for some counterfeit routers just to see what they're like, but then I'd just be adding to the problem.

I'm already thinking of fire hazards these things can cause, they probably don't follow strict codes for that and if they use cheap parts, it could cause trouble later when the router is up and running for long periods...
    Wow I just skimmed through that site that is amazing!!! How do these people do it? How do they even have the capacity to manufacture something that looks so authentic?

How do they figure out the programming/schematics involved to make the cards "work" as if they were Cisco....

It is indeed impressive....I hope to never get one though, and I highly expect sellers to not look at what they are selling because I'm sure they would want to get rid of it ASAP if they knew they had a fake...

They get an original and reverse engineer it just like with any counterfeit item. Then they remake them using inferior manufacturing and parts. (there are even counterfeit iphones that look and work like the real thing)

I'd like to see if there is a correlation between companies who move their manufacturing to China and seeing an increase in counterfeits. thats a subject for another thread though.
    They get an original and reverse engineer it just like with any counterfeit item. Then they remake them using inferior manufacturing and parts.
    Reverse engineered, somebody has obtained the designs from somewhere or the real factory is doing off the books runs on the production line.
    there are even counterfeit iphones that look and work like the real thing
    The physical appearance of the phone and the appearance of the software on it may look similar to a real iPhone but they're not the same thing. Completely cloning an iPhone or any other major manufacturers phone is complicated because of the difficulty in obtaining some of the parts. Apple devices especially contain a large number of custom parts which aren't available off the shelf.
    I'd like to see if there is a correlation between companies who move their manufacturing to China and seeing an increase in counterfeits. thats a subject for another thread though.
    Don't believe there has been any correlation in any of the areas I've seen anyway. Making it elsewhere doesn't stop somebody from ripping it apart to reverse engineer it.

Counterfeit and clone hardware is prevalent anywhere there is a market for small easily sold items like phones or computer equipment. You can try to stop them by adding custom parts to your designs to make reverse engineering harder but you also have to weigh it against the cost of adding this protection. The phone manufacturers can do it because they expect to sell millions of each design so will recoup the costs.
  • thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    Damn it!
    One of my WIC-1T is counterfeit. After I skimmed the link, then I looked at my WICs and 1 of them is fake. The screws are shiny and the design of the screw is very same just like in the picture. However, it works though.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
    thehourman wrote: »
    Damn it!
    One of my WIC-1T is counterfeit. After I skimmed the link, then I looked at my WICs and 1 of them is fake. The screws are shiny and the design of the screw is very same just like in the picture. However, it works though.

How about your serial module?
  • thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    The thing is still working fine though.
    Remember my problem with my NM-4A/S? My NM-4A/S is a real stuff, and it is connected to my real cisco WIC-1T. (Haven't fix it yet, still)
    The fake WIC-1T that I got from ebay is connected to the 1 of my real WIC-1T and it works. The question is, would that fake WIC last 'til I get my CCNA?
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
    thehourman wrote: »
    The question is, would that fake WIC last 'til I get my CCNA?
    Let me get my crystal ball out :P Some counterfeit cards will be DOA. Some will work and then mysteriously break. Otherwise will work perfectly forever. Take your pick.