Options

Avaya Problem

new2netnew2net Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey all...I need a little help in understanding something...

Here is my situation.

I have an off-topic question on the way Avaya and call routing works.
I work for a Delivery/Food Company (call center), and I have been set up at home as a telecommuter. When a customer calls the 1-800 number, calls are routed to my house. I have a computer at home with all the necessary applications to handle calls ect.

The calls are answered by pressing the ANSWER button in an Avaya Application. The calls are also disconnected by pressing another button in the Avaya Application. I can also dial the numbers in the Avaya application, and an outgoing call will be placed. So basically there is no need to really touch the physical phone.

Anyway... my manager has be claiming for the last week that I have been hanging up on customers. Even though he does not have a screen shot of me pressing the HANGUP button (because I have never done so). He is basically implying that I am pressing the physical disconnect button on the phone itself. I told a colleage at work about this, and they mentioned that physically pressing the hangup button will not release a call. I have verified this by trying to hang up on someone at the end of a call. IF the customer does not disconnect and I do disconnect, the call will remain connected if I pick up the line again about a minute later. Anyway, it seems that physically pressing the hangup button will not release a call. Even if I press the hang up button and come back like 1 minute later the call is still connected.

Can anyone help me understand why it might work this way? I need to be able to explain to him that I cannot actually hang up on someone by using the hangup button.

I did a little bit of reading on PBXs. I guess what happens is that calls come in to the Cable Company's 800 number, and are switched out to my home line.

Greatly appreciate any help with this...

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think the bigger issue here is why your boss doesn't trust you. You could do all the explaining in the world, but it seems your boss already sees you as a problem employee if he thinks you are just flat out hanging up on people. It would seem more like an excuse to me if you tried to come up with some technical reason why you couldn't possibly be hanging up. Instead, try to convince him that you wouldn't hang up on a customer by any means.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    LizanoLizano Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You pressing the release button would send a BYE message or some sort of signal terminating the call. If your boss suspects that, he should have gone to his IT guys and asked them to debug the messaging and look at it. Now as to why this is happening, there´s many variables involved. I'm guessing they have removed functionality from the release button on the physical phone assuring that call can't be terminated where they cant see them.
  • Options
    new2netnew2net Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies.
    I think the bigger issue here is why your boss doesn't trust you.

That's what I was thinking... apparently many people get accused of this. That's a call center I guess...
    Lizano wrote: »
    You pressing the release button would send a BYE message or some sort of signal terminating the call. If your boss suspects that, he should have gone to his IT guys and asked them to debug the messaging and look at it. Now as to why this is happening, there´s many variables involved. I'm guessing they have removed functionality from the release button on the physical phone assuring that call can't be terminated where they cant see them.

He said that he did check "the report" and it showed that the call was terminated on my end...
    However, I know for sure that I did no such thing...

I just don't understand... especially since the report says I did it, when I know that I did not.

I guess my word does not count for much against "the report"

Any reasons as to why the report could show this?
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    new2net wrote: »
    I just don't understand... especially since the report says I did it, when I know that I did not.

I guess my word does not count for much against "the report"

Any reasons as to why the report could show this?

Because your boss' nephew needs a job! :D

I would ask him to ensure that he logs all of your phone calls (to include a Date/Time stamp). Then at your home, I would log the Avaya application and send it in a screen shot (email)... preferably immediately following the call to your boss and/or work email account. That way, you can show him the duration of the call, and his logs will indicate that you did not initiate the hang up process. I HTH...
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker