Options

What should I be looking at?

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
I know this is a question with a thousand answers but I just wanted some ideas.

I am thinking of looking for a new job, but I don't really know where I place in the big picture. I work for the government so wages are low. And I work in an IT department that has one part time network engineer (me) who started 3 years ago looking at networking and have learnt it all on my own, so I have nothing to compare my self against.

I am half way through my CCNP and really looking for a full on network position. I am not sure where I place in the networking field. In my current position my work ranges from carry some ones printer to a new room, to Planning, designing and configuring networks of 1500+ users.

Any one got any ideas where some one with 3 to 4 years hands on networking experience and CCNP level skills should be looking at for job specs/postition and wage? I know I am well underpaid at the moment, so I want some idea of what I should expect to be getting / doing, I want to make sure I ask for a fair deal in interviews.

Cheers
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments

• Options
    sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    If you want to see what you'd potentially be worth to another employer, you could always just post your resume on Dice or Career Builder and see what kind of responses you get to it.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Keep in mind that all experience isn't equal. Three to four years doing the same things over and over on the same network isn't the same as two years of working with a lot of different technologies. It would be really hard to guess what you should be making with out knowing a little more of what you did for that time. If I had to guess, I'd say somewhere in the $50K range depending on area. There are so many factors that come to play though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Keep in mind that all experience isn't equal. Three to four years doing the same things over and over on the same network isn't the same as two years of working with a lot of different technologies. It would be really hard to guess what you should be making with out knowing a little more of what you did for that time. If I had to guess, I'd say somewhere in the $50K range depending on area. There are so many factors that come to play though.

Sorry UK here, but what is the average wage for working the help desk over there?
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    DW simply put aim as high as you feel comfortable (or if your like me the next step above that) and see what bites.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    Sorry UK here, but what is the average wage for working the help desk over there?

No idea man. I've never worked on a help desk before. A mid range networking gig will get you something in the $50k range though like I said. If its NYC or LA its going to be a lot more, but if its BFE Alabama it might be less. That's why I hate even trying to guess what someone can make icon_lol.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    DevilWAH wrote: »

Generally anywhere between 28-40k, depending on the job.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    chmorin wrote: »
    Generally anywhere between 28-40k, depending on the job.
    And the location. It usually balances out due to the difference in cost of living.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.