Options

MPLS Books

So what is the general consensus on the best books out there to use in studying for the MPLS exam? I am planning on sitting BGP in the next week or so, and need to get an order in pretty quick. I am lucky enough to have grabbed a seat at networkers, so I think I will try to sit MPLS there (if I am ready).

edit: well I signed up for the composite exam at Networkers. Now I'm stoked.

Comments

• Options
    Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    I am only a few chapters into it, but MPLS Fundamentals is a great read and seems to be the text I hear recommended most often. The gents from INE recommend it and if you want more MPLS they recommendt: MPLS Configuration on Cisco IOS Software.
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MPLS fundamentals is a great basic to advanced learning tool. I also would include "MPLS config on IOS" (something like that) and from a higher look definitive mpls designs afterwards.
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    MPLS Fundamentals is great. Definitive MPLS Network Designs is my favorite MPLS book so far.
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    Without a doubt MPLS Fundamentals by Luc De Ghein....

When I was studying for the MPLS exam I used the following...

1) MPLS Fundamentals + Online supplemental chapters
    2) MPLS and VPN Architectures Volume 1 (Bit dated but still worth info...)

I've started reading the following just for fun.... and they seem brilliant so far......

3) Definitive MPLS Network Designs
    4) MPLS and VPN Architectures Volume 2
    5) Traffic Engineering with MPLS

All the above are Cisco Press books.... there is another book out that isn't Cisco centric...has a title something along the lines of 'MPLS Applications' been meaning to get my hands on that and a lengthy book on VPLS.

Good luck for your exam :)

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Options
    jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    Nice, thanks guys. I will probably pick up MPLS Fundamentals, Definitive MPLS design, and MPLS Configuration on Cisco IOS Software today. Appreciate the input!
  • Options
    Nice, thanks guys. I will probably pick up MPLS Fundamentals, Definitive MPLS design, and MPLS Configuration on Cisco IOS Software today. Appreciate the input!

I picked up the first two, and they came out to around 100 bucks. I will let that settle in with my wife before I pick up the last one :) Again, I appreciate the input from those who have already treaded these waters.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I picked up the first two, and they came out to around 100 bucks. I will let that settle in with my wife before I pick up the last one :) Again, I appreciate the input from those who have already treaded these waters.

yeah, when I put together my shopping list for my books, I was a little disgusted. When I want a book, I normally just go buy it. When I totaled up what my CCIE library was going to cost me and it was four figures, I was met with the concept that I was going to have to budget. To buy books. That took me a few minutes to wrap my head around.
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Buy used on Amazon, that will save you a little. I tend to buy books one or two at a time, otherwise I think too much about what they cost, lol.
  • Options
    ColbyG wrote: »
    Buy used on Amazon, that will save you a little. I tend to buy books one or two at a time, otherwise I think too much about what they cost, lol.

That's just it, I *do*. Though Cisco Press titles I usually buy direct from Cisco Press. With the 40% discount and selecting free shipping, it comes out cheaper than using amazon (and with most books, I can read on safari until the physical book arrives).

Still didn't change the fact that my reading list is very very large, and therefore, *very* expensive.

But amazon used netted me some great deals, picked up the Kennedy switching book and the Caslow book for around 5 bucks each
  • Options
    Ya. Lately I have even flirted with the idea of getting a kindle. Unfortunately the prices for these digital books arent were they should be, and I just like the whole "real" book thing so much that I cant justify it. I wish they would come out with something where if you bought the real book you also get the kindle edition....then I would dive in. I think it would be pretty bad ass to have my entire cisco library in the palm of my hands anytime, anyplace.
  • Options
    well, considering the price of a kindle is half of four figures, I'm not sure there'd be much difference in price anyway.

I'm still considering getting a kindle because I have a massive amount of PDF's, including some for the dead tree books I have. It'd be nice to carry around the equivalent of a small library of knowledge in such a small package, but I have a hard time justifying the cost to myself