Ping: Transmit failed, error code 5

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
This is showing up on a new notebook we just got in the other day. Cannot ping an external IP address, cannot ping loopback address yet can get to websites with no issues. We removed the anti virus software (Symantec av11) and still have same issues. Have reset winsock and tcp/ip stack, still have same issues. Discovered issue after installing Office and could not pull emails on new computer, yet old computer works fine for that.

Anyone run across this before and found a valid solution? I have 11 more of these to configure today, and I hope when they arrive they do not have the same issue as this one.

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Have you tried another network card?
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Its integrated into the MB. Get the same issue when using wired or wireless connections with the notebook.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Have you checked your firewall settings?
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Bokeh wrote: »
    Its integrated into the MB. Get the same issue when using wired or wireless connections with the notebook.

If it is happening with the wireless also, then it is certainly a software related issue.

Have you seen this?
    Ping transmit failed, error code 5. - No internet but some network services : <b style="color:black;background-color:#99ff99">error</b>, <b style="color:black;background-color:#ff66ff">5</b>, <b style="color:black;background-color:#ff9999">code</b>,

Same issue and caused by Norton. Check in the properties of you network connection and be sure there isn't an entry there even though you have removed the AV itself. I am willing to bet this was caused by Symantec and the installation of Office was, as you also seem to think it was, just a coincedence.

Edit: Just an FYI, they make USB wired NICs that help a lot for stuff like this. I keep one in my tool kit.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If its on multiple nic's then it has to be something software related. Don't know what it would be if you have removed all of the antivirus.

Is there possibly a hardware or other software firewall inside of your lan?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
    humble2007 wrote: »
    Is there possibly a hardware or other software firewall inside of your lan?

This would not prevent pinging the loopback address. It would also cause this problem on more than one PC and Bokeh has stated everything is fine on other systems.

10/1 odds it is Symantec and whatever was f'ing up did not get removed in the uninstall process.
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Was on with HP support, they think it was a bad load of XP. These machines were loaded with Win7 but corp had CDW downgrade to XP Pro. It worked fine in safe mode with networking, but not normal mode.

So wiping that one out, and grabbed another from the stack to check out as well. I will be very @#$%^@# off if I find this again on another one from this same order.
    Was on with HP support, they think it was a bad load of XP. These machines were loaded with Win7 but corp had CDW downgrade to XP Pro. It worked fine in safe mode with networking, but not normal mode.

So wiping that one out, and grabbed another from the stack to check out as well. I will be very @#$%^@# off if I find this again on another one from this same order.

I still bet this is Symantec. I have seen this sort of issue too many times. And it wouldn't load the firewall drivers in Safe Mode with Networking. I once did an uninstall of End Point on 5 PCs in prep for a switch to Trend as we were having too many issues with End Point and it left the drivers active in 3 out of the 5. They could still get online, kind of... Same sort of issue. It took 2 days for us to figure out our users were not insane. But that's why we tested on just 5 systems.