disconnecting lines...

notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
I think this topic goes in the CCNA...... I can't seem to kill these idle connections on my 2511 AS. The connection to rtr-1811, well that router isn't even on!

here's my output....

RTR-2511#who
    Line       User       Host(s)              Idle       Location
   2 tty 2                idle                 00:00:03 rtr-1811
   3 tty 3                idle                 00:07:39 rtr-1811
   6 tty 6                idle                 00:05:04 rtr-1811
  18 vty 0                rtr-1720             00:00:03 150.113.156.5
  19 vty 1                sw-2960              00:07:40 150.113.156.5
  20 vty 2                sw-2950              00:05:05 150.113.156.5
* 21 vty 3                idle                 00:00:00 150.113.156.5

Interface    User               Mode         Idle     Peer Address

RTR-2511#disconnect 6
?Invalid connection name
RTR-2511#disconnect 2
?Invalid connection name
RTR-2511#disconnect 3
?Invalid connection name
RTR-2511#

Comments

• chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I think this topic goes in the CCNA...... I can't seem to kill these idle connections on my 2511 AS. The connection to rtr-1811, well that router isn't even on!

Cisco says on that command...
    Number of the line or name of the active network connection to be disconnected.

It seems like yours should work. I'd try the lines name too (Maybe tty 2)? You would think they would time out, or something. Can you boot the active connections?
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    Try the command 'clear line x'
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    Stotic wrote: »
    Try the command 'clear line x'

No that actually clears my terminal lines. The who command seems to be displaying VTY sessions from earlier telnet sessions and I'd like to clear the idle ones...
    chmorin wrote: »
    Cisco says on that command...

It seems like yours should work. I'd try the lines name too (Maybe tty 2)? You would think they would time out, or something. Can you boot the active connections?

Nope doesn't work either. What's odd is that I just booted up the AS server so it's somehow leftover? I mean the AS was off and it seemed to retain the info.... oh well, no biggie, but I'd surely like to know from a fundamental standpoint what this is all about and why I can't remove it....
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    have you tried the disconnect x (x representing the number in the session)? You may have to run it a couple of times on that old 2511. I sometimes have to disconnect and then clear the line twice to avoid receiving the... "connection refused" error. HTH.
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
    Oops... didn't see that you already did that!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • tim100tim100 Member Posts: 162
    "connection refused" error. HTH.

The connection refused error / idle tty connections to the routers can be avoided altogether on the tty lines by configuring "no exec".
    tim100 wrote: »
    The connection refused error / idle tty connections to the routers can be avoided altogether on the tty lines by configuring "no exec".

I'll have to give that a try when I get home! Thanks!

-Mayor Cory Booker
    tim100 wrote: »

Is that command suppose to be ran under each router or just the AS?
  • jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    Is that command suppose to be ran under each router or just the AS?

Just the AS
    Just the AS

Interesting, I'll have to try it out. I am constantly clearing my lines on the AS to reconnect....

Funny website you have there...will route for 4 food. LOL...
    Interesting, I'll have to try it out. I am constantly clearing my lines on the AS to reconnect....

Funny website you have there...will route for 4 food. LOL...

Thanks man. This guy was having the same problem just a short while ago in the np forums...heres the thread:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccnp/53582-need-ios-2511-tlc.html
    Thanks man. This guy was having the same problem just a short while ago in the np forums...heres the thread:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccnp/53582-need-ios-2511-tlc.html

I see....I'm almost positive i have no exec-timeout 0 0 because well you know, I don't like to get kicked off... LOL...

So I'll give this a shot, that other guy seems to be thrilled it worked for him. haha....
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    If you don't disable exec on the serial lines then you get a login prompt and when the device connected to that line starts spewing out logging information then everything gets confused.
    that other guy seems to be thrilled it worked for him. haha....

yes...a bit enthusiastic. lol
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I see....I'm almost positive i have no exec-timeout 0 0 because well you know, I don't like to get kicked off... LOL...
    The no exec-timeout prevents the routers you're connecting to from timing out the connection.

The no exec on the access server line configuration allows outgoing connections only -- that way line noise (or the remote router's bootup process) doesn't make the AS think someone/something is trying to login on that line (meaning lots of attempts to clear the line may be required before you can sneak out a connection).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    no exec-timeout and no exec are two different commands on two different routers.

The no exec-timeout prevents the routers you're connecting to from timing out the connection.

The no exec on the access server line configuration allows outgoing connections only -- that way line noise (or the remote router's bootup process or login/password prompt) doesn't make the AS think someone/something is trying to login on that line (meaning lots of attempts to clear the line may be required before you can sneak out a connection).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    mikej412 wrote: »
    no exec-timeout and no exec are two different commands on two different routers.

The no exec on the access server line configuration allows outgoing connections only -- that way line noise (or the remote router's bootup process or login/password prompt) doesn't make the AS think someone/something is trying to login on that line (meaning lots of attempts to clear the line may be required before you can sneak out a connection).

Thanks for the clarification, I thought they were the same thing!!!