Options

New Member/Tester Advice?

strgrawstrgraw Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I got recommended to this site by my brother, and so far after looking over the materials I am impressed. I am fairly certain I will be using this site quite often in the future.

I have a request for some advice that some may be able to give - Mainly, where do I begin? I am not too knowledgeable on IT Certifications and would like to begin the arduous journey of acquiring them. My brother has a plethora of IT certifications completed and has given me a rough outline of what I should begin with (Starting with CompTIA certifications) but I would like another perspective and perhaps some answers to additional questions such as: What does 60-730 (and other similar numbers) refer to? How much, in total, does the typical certification cost (books/voucher included)? How many can I expect to earn a year (if completed at an "average" rate)? Why is the sky blue? Why are dinosaurs so big?

I am very much looking forward to becoming a part of this community. :)

-strgraw

Comments

• Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welcome to TE! A lot of the questions you ask (and will ask) are subjective.

What is your current experience level?
    What are you working towards? - it's easy to get hooked into certifying and racking up certs like trophies but each should be helping you towards a goal. If you can clearly define this then finding the right track will be a lot easier.
    When asking about exam types and requirements etc. if you can't already find an answer here, then google a bit. Folks will be a lot more likely to offer advice if you have put in a little effort yourself - also this is good data mining practice, which you are going to need later on :).
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?