Options

Quick Question

AJJ28AJJ28 Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
Is it safe to assume that two PCs that have IP addresses of 10.10.10.10 and 10.10.10.11 and are on the same subnet 255.255.255.0 have the same default gateway?

I would have thought that the subnet would use the same gateway is that unreasonable? Is it common to have more than 1 gateway.

I am studying for 70-620 and the question said one IP could ping a remote address and another couldn't. So I assumed that as they were co-workers and on the same subnet if one could ping the default gateway wasn't the problem for the other as it would pass through the same one.

But the answer was to change the default gateway address. I am probably wrong but that is the type of question that drives me around the bend. But again I am probably wrong as these Microsoft tests have a way of making you feel dumb

Comments

• Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Is it safe to assume that two PCs that have IP addresses of 10.10.10.10 and 10.10.10.11 and are on the same subnet 255.255.255.0 have the same default gateway?

Generally, yes this is safe to assume. However, that doesn't mean that it can't happen.

I would have thought that the subnet would use the same gateway is that unreasonable?

Generally, yes this is safe to assume. However, that doesn't mean that it can't happen.

Is it common to have more than 1 gateway.

It is common in large environments to have more than 1 gateway. But not usually on the same subnet.

I am studying for 70-620 and the question said one IP could ping a remote address and another couldn't. So I assumed that as they were co-workers and on the same subnet if one could ping the default gateway wasn't the problem for the other as it would pass through the same one.

But the answer was to change the default gateway address. I am probably wrong but that is the type of question that drives me around the bend. But again I am probably wrong as these Microsoft tests have a way of making you feel dumb.

If the question shows you a chart and gives you hints, then you need to be able to see that the gateway is wrong. If I show up to an environment where they are telling me that computer1 can ping serverA, but computer2 can't, then I am going to explore the network infrastructure immediately. In this case, I would be able to see gateway/subnet/DNS/dup IP issues immediately. It is important that you learn these troubleshooting skills even if Microsoft is basing the question off a less common problem.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    ReibeReibe Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Default gateways can vary, they aren't set automatically based on what subnet they are in.

If they are manual configured IPs, then the gateway needs set also. The default gateway is the IP address data is sent to to get outside of its local network.

If you are using DHCP, you can push out the default gateway with the ip lease, but in your sample question, I assume that isn't relative.
  • Options
    AJJ28AJJ28 Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for putting it like that. I guess going into jobs with these assumptions is wrong. I understand the need to check all of that. Thanks again
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can configure it however you want to. In most cases it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. However, you might find one scenario where it does.

I have actually seen basically this same question on Net+ and maybe A+ too. Even if they are all supposed to use the same gateway, maybe one of them was configured wrong.
    Decide what to be and go be it.