IP Telephony (Cisco) Jobs?

chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
I am currently studying for my CCNA: Voice and I am eating this material up. I love every bit of it. I might have found my nitch.

Anyway, I am curious if anyone knows if the job market actually has positions available for strictly voice? Or is it usually a hybrid kind of thing with networking? Is it mostly contract work? Does anyone here work in the field and have any words of advice?

Thanks in advance,

Chris
Currently Pursuing
WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
mikej412 wrote:
Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    There seems to be a large demand for voice work form what I can tell. I don't work in a strictly voice role anymore, but I still get calls and emails all the time for that type of work. As with most roles, if you want to do strictly voice you will most likely need to have it as a side responsibility first to get that experience on the resume.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    To me it seems like everyone has either gone voip or will be there shortly. I don't know if there is an abundance for jobs but somebody out there has to be supporting all of this equiptment.

Try doing a monster search to see what it finds. You could also try contacting a contracting company and ask a recruiter if they are placing people in these jobs.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think the demand for voice is only going to continue as the technology becomes more stable. I work with voice and while it still has a long ways to go, you can do some pretty cool stuff. I'm only dealing with simple things such as Call Managers, Unity Servers, and easy gateway configurations so far. QoS is the biggest issue I see when dealing with voice issues, that and not having a backup route when your T1 goes down...you can guess what happens lol
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • luckybobluckybob Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    From my experience, Cisco Phone Engineers are in a larger demand than other exclusive roles. An exclusive voice job definatley pays better than your Jack of all trades jobs do.