Options

cert path question

irishpunkirishpunk Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
Ok my techexam peeps I need some help choosing a cert/career path to take. First a little background on me I made to switch from Pipe fitter to IT about 3.5-4 years ago. I started off building PCs for a large company and was quickly bumped into their server production department which basically meant, I got to do everything build t-shoot repair test etc and I quickly became the lead tech. I loved it stuff was always happening plus I got work mostly 2nd and 3rd shift which is a huge plus to me. I guess it should be noted that all the servers ran linux mostly red hat. My department went through a growth spurt which meant network expansion!!!! I was asked if I wanted the job which basically amounted to running cables and installing switches with very minimal configuration. The rest was left to the network engineer but armed with knowledge I have now I totally could have done it thank you ccna. So that's an overview of my work experience so far.

Ideally I think I would like to work in a similar environment maybe a data center or storage company. But I'm not sure how practical that is as I pretty much fell into the above mentioned job. I guess what I'm asking is that a viable career if continue with network certs and start picking up linux certs will I be able to find work in a data center etc? Or am I better off learning microsoft and picking up there line of certifications and looking for help desk/system admin work? I am puzzled my friends where to go where to go. Thanks in advance

Take care,
Sean

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sounds like they like you and your work ethic where you're at. Talk to one of your supervisors about what it would take to move in the direction you want,Your Cisco certs will definitely help and a Linux cert or 2 wouldn't hurt since you use Linux there. In my opinion you're already on a good networking path and doing helpdesk would probably be a step down for you.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well no cert is going to hurt you. Even something that seems unrelated could someday help you out.

If something sounds interesting, go for it. Even if you don't believe it will help you in your current jobs, it might actually come in handy someday. Since you seem to like the networking stuff, maybe CCNP should be in your future. If your interested in storage then maybe you should take a look at Storage Area Networks.

Like Earweed said, a helpdesk role would be a major step down for you. I also agree that some linux certs could play a vital role.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Thanks for the quick responses. Something I forgot to mention is late last year our major contractor decided not to renew their contract with us and the department was closed and me and my fellow co-workers were laid off.

take care,
    Sean
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It did sound as though you no longer worked there. However, I believe that my same advice applies.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    irishpunk wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick responses. Something I forgot to mention is late last year our major contractor decided not to renew their contract with us and the department was closed and me and my fellow co-workers were laid off.

take care,
    Sean
    Sorry I didn't catch on that you no longer worked there. With your experience and certs you currently had a desktop support or helpdesk may be an option for you but you should be able to work your way out of it and into a more network positon quickly. Depends on what you want to do in the future.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone I think I'm gonna pick up my ccna: security and the linux+ and go from there.

Take care,
    Sean
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    irishpunk wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice everyone I think I'm gonna pick up my ccna: security and the linux+ and go from there.

Take care,
    Sean

CCNA Security isn't bad at all.

About the Linux+, just make sure that you know that as of right now, there are two routes to get it.

CompTIA Linux+