Options

Vmware converter

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
I have a small company, roughly 10 users. They are closing their main office down and want to be completely remote/home based. It's not for a lack of money or anything, it's just a centralized model doesn't make sense now days for them.

I am planning on dropping Win7 ultimate on their laptops/tablets and a couple 2008R2 servers in a colo for them for DirectAccess. Also tossing their old BES out in favor of iPhones with ActiveSync.

One of the challenges I am running into is their current workstation configurations and the fact they want to keep them, but I have to reuse hardware. They are Mostly Core Duo workstations, Windows 2000 and XP. I had a coworker mention VMware converter and VMware player. Anyone have experience with this? I am told it's free?

Just curious what your experiences have been and over all thoughts?
-Daniel

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    I have a small company, roughly 10 users. They are closing their main office down and want to be completely remote/home based. It's not for a lack of money or anything, it's just a centralized model doesn't make sense now days for them.

I am planning on dropping Win7 ultimate on their laptops/tablets and a couple 2008R2 servers in a colo for them for DirectAccess. Also tossing their old BES out in favor of iPhones with ActiveSync.

One of the challenges I am running into is their current workstation configurations and the fact they want to keep them, but I have to reuse hardware. They are Mostly Core Duo workstations, Windows 2000 and XP. I had a coworker mention VMware converter and VMware player. Anyone have experience with this? I am told it's free?

Just curious what your experiences have been and over all thoughts?

I've used workstation, which works nicely but is costly. I have also used a little vmware server, which also works nice but does take a little more user configuration.

For something simple like this, why are you not considering Virtual PC?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    elphrank0elphrank0 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think Converter is only free for home users. You will have to chekc their licensing schema.
  • Options
    Sunshine_54Sunshine_54 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Converter is completely free and has been for at least a year...