Options

Florida Institute of Technology/Florida Tech

Kirk_TWCKirk_TWC Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
http://www.floridatech.edu
http://www.fit.edu

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has heard any credible information about this school. It has an actual campus located in Melbourne, Florida. They also have online degree programs provided through the University Alliance.

I am considering getting a Masters of IT or a MBA/IT Management or MBA/Project Management degree from here. All of my classes would be streamed online for the entire Masters degree program.

My main question is, if I walked into a job interview and my resume says "MBA/Project Management - Florida Institute of Technology" would this impress them?

I've heard about the University of Phoenix and a few other schools but I have never came across this school, that's why I'm a little skeptical. Any input would be appreciated.

SN: Graduating this Saturday with my Bachelors in ITicon_cheers.gif
--Future Plans--
Tech Skills - 7/5/2010 - 2/2011
A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA (7 Month Course)

Tech Skills - 3/2011-5/2011
CCENT & CCNA

Employer Financed:cheers:

Comments

• Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's a private third-tier national university that seems to have preferences for aero/astronautical sciences and their ROTC program. If you were looking at those programs, I'd say it's worth a serious look. Otherwise, I'd look at other schools. Do a search for MBA/business school rankings and find a program that offers what you want from there.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    Really the only thing that impressed me with the program is it's flexibility. I already have a part time job and I begin my full-time job in June and I have a family.

My plans after my Bachelors was to finally obtain some certifications starting with the basics A+, Net+, Sec+, and then transition to some Cisco Cert's.

Even with my Bachelors I was unable to secure the ideal job with the ideal salary. The individuals that were able to obtain those jobs had higher GPAs (3.5+) and they also did summer Interns with large companies. I'm on the lower end with a 3.1 and a local internshipicon_neutral.gif

My employer will pay for my Certs and even the coursework if I decided to go to a training facility (which I do!). I'm hoping these will help me obtain a better job in my field.

I guess I got sidetracked, seen a convenient MBA program and let it change my focus, your response got me on track, its best to not "settle" for a convenient program when I can get better in the future.

Why do I type semi long reads....smhicon_surprised.gif
    --Future Plans--

CCENT & CCNA

• Options
    ChronusMaximusChronusMaximus Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am currently enrolled in their Masters in Computer Information Systems online. I like the program and it is pretty flexible since I work full time. They seem to have a good reputation but they do have private institute tuition prices which is really the only negative I have so far.

I looked up their notable alumni and it seems to be a choice for many people who trained to be astronauts which is kind of neat. Probably because of the proximity to the Cape.

I would recommend the school from my attendance so far which is only two semesters (including this one). Both the academic and financial advisers are really helpful and the professors seem to know their fields well. If you have any specific questions let me know.
    WIP: CCNA
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How exactly does an MBA/IT Management compare to an MS in MIS?

You can get the latter from a top 100, tier I, nationally recognized university in Auburn U (completely online) for $598/credit vs $830/credit from Florida Tech.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    Mississippi St (Tier III) offers an online MBA-Project Management for $505/credit.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I took a couple of classes there a few years ago. Was not that bad but imo was not that great for me as an online experience. Not that it was bad but it did not feel like I was in an actual class like my other online experiences. The assignments hardly required any interaction with other students.

I stopped because I got hooked on World of Warcraft and started to neglect my studies icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    How exactly does an MBA/IT Management compare to an MS in MIS?

You can get the latter from a top 100, tier I, nationally recognized university in Auburn U (completely online) for $598/credit vs $830/credit from Florida Tech.

Wow that sounds great, I'm going to look further into Auburn & Miss St. My only concern is not getting the experience a local MBA program could offer. Here in NC the Wake Forest program interacts with local business to develop projects and present ideas directly to the company's officials. If I'm in NC I could never interact with individuals in AL...or at least not on that level...idk just a though
    --Future Plans--

CCENT & CCNA

• Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    If you're interested in an MBA and live in Florida then why have you not looked at UF? Easily the best MBA in Florida and one of the top 20 public MBAs in the nation. They have a 2 year working professional MBA where you do all coursework online and go to the campus 1 weekend a month. The total cost is $41k but compared to a private school Im sure its reasonable and not to mention it will be worth way more in ROI.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    historian1974historian1974 Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The advice that I've been given about the MBA is that it is divided into the "Top 20" and then everyone else. So if you're not going to a top school for an MBA, it shouldn't matter too much as long as it is regionally accredited. A big plus is if the program is also accredited by The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB).
  • Options
    East Carolina has an online MBA program for $762/credit, but if you have a high GMAT score (650+) you can apply for an out of state tuition fee waiver and knock it down to $257/credit!!!

Sounds worthwhile if you can get the waiver.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    The advice that I've been given about the MBA is that it is divided into the "Top 20" and then everyone else. So if you're not going to a top school for an MBA, it shouldn't matter too much as long as it is regionally accredited. A big plus is if the program is also accredited by The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB).
    Indiana University is ranked #15 according to BusinessWeek and they offer online MBAs via Kelley Direct. $995/credit though. Might be able to get some scholarships if you have a super high GMAT score.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%