how to avoid salary requirements

TherhinoTherhino Member Posts: 122
I would like to know if you are still looking for employment before I can forward your resume to the hiring manager. Also, if you would let me know how much you are looking for in compensation, it would be helpful. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

This was a piece from an email I received today. What would be the easiest way of avoiding the salary question I really hate those questions because I worry it may either make or break the whole thing? Any suggestions?

Comments

• laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    Just say your looking for the market rate for the role but are more concerned about the opportunities that the role has to offer.
    Or words to that effect icon_smile.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    Just say your looking for the market rate for the role but are more concerned about the opportunities that the role has to offer.
    Or words to that effect icon_smile.gif

That's a nice response... I always have problems dancing around that question, lol.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Why would you want to avoid the question? Do you not know what you want to get paid? Either they will pay it to you or they won't. Just give them a ball park figure and say its negotiable.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The problem really occurs with new people to the field. We want to get into the field, and will take nearly anything... but we can't say this. If I was working somewhere else making $30k a year, then it is pretty easy to say I need at least $35k. But to somebody new it is difficult.

I have played it both ways. I had no luck with the "fair rate" thing. Employers don't want to hear that. They know what the fair rate is, and they know that you want to be paid that or more. They want you to give them an offer so that if its lower than they are willing to pay they can save some money. Or, if it is ungodly high they can try to talk you down or more likely just not interview you.

I do like networker's addition to the end. The negotiable part means that even if your too high they might work with you. If you said 50k for a job that they are wanting to pay 40k for, the negotiable addition might still get you an interview. Just saying 50k might disqualify you.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just tell them what you want.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I just finished playing this game. I usually give a $10k range and say I'm open to talk about it depending on the opportunities for advancement and benefits offered. I lucked up with my new job. The HR lady asked about salary and I tried the usual first attempt to deflect it (I'd really like to hear more about the job responsibilities..etc. etc) Then she came right out and gave me the low-to-high range for the position. Bingo. Needless to say I lead the later conversations into the high end.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    I just ask for the range. Then I tell them I want whatever I feel like I'm worth within that range.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ColbyG wrote: »
    I just ask for the range. Then I tell them I want whatever I feel like I'm worth within that range.

Is this something you can do with like an application? I was once requested to submit my resume, cover letter, and salary requirement to someone. Asking for the range might work in an over the phone interview or something, but I can't see that working when submitting on paper.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Like others have said just keep the playing field wide and tell them your interested in the opportunities more than the salary. Give them a range and let them know you are open to negotiate any salary offers within that range. Its an honest response plus it shows you are willing to compensate any low budgets they have and that your more interested in the position than the money. Give them a response to the answer, some managers dont like people dancing around or avoiding questions, it will tell them a little something about how you handle pressure.

Good luck and it looks like they are very interested in you, give it a shot and latch on to the hook as this economic train is slowly taking off, and trust me you want to be on that train! Dont listen to whats happening in Europe and Greece, America will continue to do better regardless of the wall street hickup .icon_thumright.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    humble2007 wrote: »
    Is this something you can do with like an application? I was once requested to submit my resume, cover letter, and salary requirement to someone. Asking for the range might work in an over the phone interview or something, but I can't see that working when submitting on paper.

I don't typically offer salary requirements. Since I'm not actively looking (much), I'm usually the one being contacted and one of my first questions is salary range.
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    The only reason they are asking you this is to see where they can start knocking you down from so their cut is greater. Whatever you say will be too much and they will suck their teeth and give various reasons why you are not worth that figure especially in "the current climate". These people are not stupid nor do they care you get what you are worth.

As humble said, if you are new you are at their mercy really. If you are experienced, you will laugh at their feeble excuses to knock your price down.

These people who find you work will know what they can get for you and try to knock your figure down and the jobs figure up to make the biggest wedge in the middle for themselves.

Unless you are desperate for the work, do as networker said... tell them what you want and stick to your guns if you think you are worth that figure. If they want to make money off you, they will have to take a smaller wedge.

Stick to your guns with these people and always remember they really don't care about you no matter how friendly they sound. All they are concerned with is what they can make off your back so take all the excuses with a pinch of salt.
    Kam.
  • jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    I normally just say something to the extent of...if you feel I am a qualified candidate that you might be interested in just make me an offer. We can negotiate from there. It usually works out, as they don't normally low-ball the guy or gal that they want to give the job to.
  • bighuskerbighusker Member Posts: 147
    You shouldn't dance around the question if you know how much you want. This is easier if you're already employed in a similar position, but even if you aren't, you can consult other friends/colleagues or even look up some salary reviews online (but these can be wildly off-base at times).

You should never be the first one to bring up salary, but once a potential employer asks you about it, you shouldn't shy away from it. When I was looking for a new job earlier this year, a company asked for my salary requirements on the initial phone interview. I told them a number that was 10% higher than my current salary and they told me their feasible range was a little over half of what I was currently making. As disappointing as that was, I was happy to learn about that problem early into the process. It would have been terrible to take a day off work and interview for a job which I would never take. As a side note, the company still wanted to interview me with those salary requirements, but I had already accepted another position (one that paid even more!)
  • StupporedStuppored Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I normally just say something to the extent of...if you feel I am a qualified candidate that you might be interested in just make me an offer. We can negotiate from there. It usually works out, as they don't normally low-ball the guy or gal that they want to give the job to.

I liked that response the best. I even printed it out and pinned it up on my board.

The scary thing for the potential incumbant is that they have NOT even seen the work environment or actually sat down with the team to figure out their strengths and weaknesses / seen the actual work entailed in that particular workplace yet to even come up with a figure that makes sense for that particular company. In effect, I believe we're all underpaid. And them asking you what you are looking for for compensation right off the bat without knowing the above... well it sounds like they're setting you up to attempt to lowball you. Do you know how long it would take you to work your way up to 30K if they lowballed you and you were silly enough to accept a position for $20K when you should have gotten $35K off the bat. These lowball figures affect you in the future, especially if you grow to enjoy the environment you're in and the people as well. Now try going to your boss asking for a raise...
  • jsolarijsolari Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I usually just say compensation is negotiable because a lit more goes into a compensation package than just salary.
  • TherhinoTherhino Member Posts: 122
    I kinda of took a step back and pretty much just sent an offer that I would want to make me to leave. This weekend I got bored and just browsed the newspaper at local jobs in the area(non-IT) I believe im just going to stfu and enjoy what I have.