Options

TestOut or CBT Nuggets?

katakatakkatakatak Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys, I just got the MP book, and wanted to know what you recommend for video training. I have just finished the CCENT, and figured that I might go back to MS and finish my MCSA. DNS is pretty confusing so far even though I thought I understood it, (I just started chapter 5) and wanted to get video help that really simplified the subject. I also have a VMWare Server lab setup with two 2003 servers bridged. Any other recommendations would be helpful as well.

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I recently bought the Cbt Nuggets MCSA pack, only wanted the 290 and 291, but for the same price I also got the 270 and the 70-431 as well.

So far I have watched a few of the xp ones (70-270, test tomorrow), and I am not satisifed at all. I have learned a few things but not much. (Now its intended for a more novice user, so they might learn more.) I am put off by the lack of showing for talking. For example, the recovery console. They talked about it, but didn't load it up. For as much as they charge for this I would think they could run xp inside a vm to capture the recovery console and things like that. I hope the 290 and 291 videos are better. Thats really all I want as I don't have all the hands on experience on those subjects. (And the guys voice on 270 is earsplitting annoying, not that mine is much better... But I don't record a video and charge a ton of money for it either.)
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    katakatakkatakatak Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    which one are you mentioning in the above?
  • Options
    katakatak wrote: »
    which one are you mentioning in the above?

Oh sorry, CBT Nuggets. I'll go edit the post for future viewers.

I used Testout a little for A+. It seemed pretty good although I found several mistakes in it. But I have found about half a dozen in the book I'm reading right now for the 270 too. No material is 100% error free.

Test out's advantage is that it has practice questions and videos all in one pack. I don't know what the price is like, but nuggets is expensive (generally $200 a piece, so if your wanting it for both the 290 and 291 you might as well spend $400 on the 4 pack, even if no intention of using the others. Might turn to it someday)
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    I prefer the testout format.... seems to work best for me.
    Lecture, guided simulation, then it tests your ability by having you complete simulations, then there are chapter tests....
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    If anyone is still interested, I am just about done with the 290 nuggets, and they are much better. A much better instructor. I've actually learned some things and he does more showing while talking, rather than just staring at a desktop while the guy chats away. I'm still put off by the fact that CBT nuggets never issued me a full license which mucks up things. Apparently it is fixed now, but we shall see.

I haven't really used testout, but while I was studying for A+ a friend of mine had it so I played around with it a little. Did seem like a useful all around tool. Lecture, simulation, and quizzes all packed into one product.

I'll provide another update when I've watched the 291's. I just wanted to leave an update since I completely bashed nuggets in my last post, but now that I see the light from a different instructor, it can be a valuable tool.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    If anyone is still interested, I am just about done with the 290 nuggets, and they are much better. A much better instructor. I've actually learned some things and he does more showing while talking, rather than just staring at a desktop while the guy chats away. I'm still put off by the fact that CBT nuggets never issued me a full license which mucks up things. Apparently it is fixed now, but we shall see.

I haven't really used testout, but while I was studying for A+ a friend of mine had it so I played around with it a little. Did seem like a useful all around tool. Lecture, simulation, and quizzes all packed into one product.

I'll provide another update when I've watched the 291's. I just wanted to leave an update since I completely bashed nuggets in my last post, but now that I see the light from a different instructor, it can be a valuable tool.
    I would personally disagree with this. I do agree that the quality of instruction is better on these for CBT Nuggets but I believe 100% that the sims included in TestOut go far beyond the benefit provided by the instructor.

FACT: If you can perform every sim *cold* (meaning without even having to think about what you are doing) in the TestOut programs for the 290 and 291 you will pass the sims in the actual 290 and 291.
  • Options
    I was just referring to the difference of instructors from the 270 instructor to the 290 instructor on CBT nuggets. I don't feel like I watched enough testout to rate their instructors.

I used the testout for my software class, and it was excellent. Plugging virtual cables into a virtual motherboard was very interesting. Of course, to have all the equiptment in front of me would have been better, but without spending $5000 and renting out a storage garage to keep it in, this was a great tool.