Options

Couple questions from a long time IT guy looking for something new. (Long post)

edlinedlin Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
A little about me I am 35, married living in the Boston burbs and I have been working at a corporate helpdesk for a small retail company for 9 years at the helpdesk and am now considered a 'Senior Tech' which does not mean much other than a .75/hr raise so I'm at about $19/hr now.

I took this job after taking a PC Repair Cert course at BU and was ready to go but was told wait a bit longer they want to pay for it and well you guessed it quit waiting for them after a year or so and forgot a lot of the stuff needed to get A+, got comfortable, married, gained weight and I'm still here and I have to say I love the company and love my boss but all the comments about possible other positions at some point, extra training etc I can't help but think it's just not going to happen. No fault at all of my boss I don't think just another example of a company that runs around with their heads cut off and there is very little organization.

While working that job on my time off I tried to start building a website to sell stuff on ebay and after my site being up/down, up/down from three different webhosts I purchased my own $50/mo Cobalt raq3 and started to mess around with linux and running a web server and actually had a nice business going from 2003-2006 and was making about the same as I was at my day gig and then a lot of big players like GoDaddy and HostMonster started offering crazy packages I could not come close to due to the poor habit of hosts starting to oversell like crazy and it slowed down some, then a little more and now I'm going to be consolidating my five once pretty full servers to three to save money as new signups are few and far icon_sad.gif

I decided about a year ago to start looking into my options, I considered going to get a degree but I always did really bad in school and at that time my ADD had never been treated so I gave up on that idea because it does not interest me really (4 years of general studies) and a most of my friends and family who recently graduated were getting pretty low salaries across the board.

I realized I was a technical guy and I'm damn good at it and it would probably be my best option trying to get certified or learn something new being self-taught even if I do want to go for a degree someday having done so poorly in school I never really learned how to study at all and really make it a priority instead of doing it for a week and moving on to something else.

I considered web design for a while it would be perfect to go with the hosting customers but I think I lack a bit in the creativity department, I could probably finish some html/css training and do well but getting creativity and using PS will just never be my thing.

Then I considered PHP/mySQL development, I really enjoyed what I learned so far (The essentials pretty much) and still plan on becoming proficient with it but while researching salaries online saw a Linux Admin job at a web host about 40 miles south of me and said to myself 'Hey you could do that' and I probably could but the way I learned myself was 100% through a forum like this :) I've setup dozens or servers both with and without hosting control panels and feel I have done a decent job at managing, monitoring and just in general babysitting things to make sure they run smooth and then I have a few major issues a year that require I get down to the nitty gritty and touch on something new.

So I know a lot about the running of things but no real shell scripting knowledge which a lot of people seem surprised about.

Since thinking about it I am fairly certain LPIC1/2 and maybe RHCE down the road. I now have been on ADD meds and as someone who used to have the motto 'I'll learn this with my own effort and determination and not a little pill' I can tell you my functionality is night and day :)

So I have been reading the latest Cybex LPIC-1 book and just trying to learn the best ways to study and take in the knowledge and train myself for a lot of the things I should have learned in middle school probably.

My question is how benificial is my running of web servers for 7 years now and what I do know to potential employers? My thought is if I go in with that plus a couple decent certs I may be able to land a half decent gig doing something I actually enjoy instead of playing helpdesk jockey 12 hours a day and maybe make a little extra cash to boot :)

Where this being the first time I have ever really needed to study or anything I am trying to give myself some goals and at the same time make them realistic. I was hoping to do 101 by August and 102 by New Years before I start working on LPIC-2 at the beginning of the year.

If anyone has made it this far thank you :) and I promise I won't make all my posts this long just have a lot on the mind ya know?

I only work a couple days a week with very long shifts (14hr) and between you and me I'm probably actually doing something a few hours or less a day.

When I started and realized how easy this gig was, how awesome the shifts were (4 day weekend every weekend) icon_cheers.gif I would have probably bet you a million dollars I would never look elsewhere but looking back sitting stagnant all these years has done quite a job on me physically, mentally and just all around.

Thanks again for your patience and I'm sure you will be seeing me around a lot. Glad to finally be registered after guest browing daily for the past month or so :)

Comments

• Options
    kiki1579kiki1579 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    edlin wrote: »
    I decided about a year ago to start looking into my options, I considered going to get a degree but I always did really bad in school and at that time my ADD had never been treated so I gave up on that idea

At 22, I came to the notion that I'm not gonna advance ANYWHERE without a degree. I finished my degree at 27 along with the certs I have now. Now at the age of 30, I have some experience under my belt, but with the way the job market is these days, I need more. I'm in the process of completing my last 2 years for my Bachelor's, and I just finished my MCTS upgrade. The point is... when I don't have an advantage in the job market, then I know I'm falling behind. And for me I do NOT like my options to be limited.

Here's the big question, do you want to stay where you are and stay comfortable knowing you aren't going to advance much further than you are now...OR...do you wanna get mad about it and do something? You need to make reasonable goals for yourself and get it done. Having experience with Linux, and wanting to get Linux certs and learn PHP and mySQL is great, but it doesn't get you far unless you do something about it.

Certifications will only get you so far, and without some sort of college training or OTJ experience in Linux, PHP or mySQL, it will be hard to put on a resume. Go for an Associates in something IT related, plus it will be good on your resume. That will almost force you to go to school, do something you love, and learn at the same time. Remember that when you have to get ahead is when you have to start fresh.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I decided about a year ago to start looking into my options, I considered going to get a degree but I always did really bad in school and at that time my ADD had never been treated so I gave up on that idea because it does not interest me really (4 years of general studies) and a most of my friends and family who recently graduated were getting pretty low salaries across the board.

I realized I was a technical guy and I'm damn good at it and it would probably be my best option trying to get certified or learn something new being self-taught even if I do want to go for a degree someday having done so poorly in school I never really learned how to study at all and really make it a priority instead of doing it for a week and moving on to something else.

I know some people are going to think that I am trying to sell you on this since I am a student, but, Western Governors University may be perfect for you. I am VERY ADD at times (, my Wife would probably say all the time) and I am making it through this program quickly at below average prices. WGU you lets you earn a degree and certifications in the process.

Online University | Online Degree | Accredited Bachelor's and Master's Degrees

If you have any questions send me a PM and I will try to help. If you decide that college is not at all for you then I would choose the best (by this I mean most in demand) certification for area you want to pursue. For the Linux I believe it would RHCT, and then RHCE. If I am wrong I am sure someone will correct me.
  • Options
    edlinedlin Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    kiki1579 wrote: »
    At 22, I came to the notion that I'm not gonna advance ANYWHERE without a degree. I finished my degree at 27 along with the certs I have now. Now at the age of 30, I have some experience under my belt, but with the way the job market is these days, I need more. I'm in the process of completing my last 2 years for my Bachelor's, and I just finished my MCTS upgrade. The point is... when I don't have an advantage in the job market, then I know I'm falling behind. And for me I do NOT like my options to be limited.

Here's the big question, do you want to stay where you are and stay comfortable knowing you aren't going to advance much further than you are now...OR...do you wanna get mad about it and do something? You need to make reasonable goals for yourself and get it done. Having experience with Linux, and wanting to get Linux certs and learn PHP and mySQL is great, but it doesn't get you far unless you do something about it.

Certifications will only get you so far, and without some sort of college training or OTJ experience in Linux, PHP or mySQL, it will be hard to put on a resume. Go for an Associates in something IT related, plus it will be good on your resume. That will almost force you to go to school, do something you love, and learn at the same time. Remember that when you have to get ahead is when you have to start fresh.

Do you really thing a degree is that important? Everyone I talk to seems to think the complete opposite meaning an employer would rather hire someone with five years experience over someone who spent the first 4 years going to school and only a year in the field.

I'd say 75% of the job listings I see say something like Bachelors or X years experience so I never really gave that much though seeing that all over the place to be honest.

I know it probably won't make sense to you but going to school right now is just not something I could handle, I figure a few certs under my belt will get me a little experience at getting in a routine to study which is the hardest thing for me and then after that consider school maybe.

I'm ready to stop the cycle as they say just a bit unsure about myself still I guess.

As for what I do know, running maintaining boxes as I have is what I am wondering if it would be considered 'experience' or not. I go get LPIC1/2 and start applying will I be someone with 7 years managing RHE/Cent boxes or a helpdesk guy who has just dabbled with it as a hobby?

Not to toot my own horn but I think I know my way around fairly well and have fixed hundreds of problems over the years and can count the number of times I had to hire someone to help me on one hand so I must not be doing that bad, other than a few exploits user scripts causing some havoc a few times I've never been rooted and stay on top of patches pretty good but maybe I'm just lucky icon_confused.gif:

Thanks again :)
  • Options
    netBoogernetBooger Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think a degree is very important these days. Not only does a degree bring in more money but it also shows that you are able to commit to something long term and see it through.

I would say that for a helpdesk position a degree isn't as important but at the same time it definitely won't hurt you. As for having certs, I don't think they mean much these days with so many people using braindumps and cheating. Also what they teach in the books doesn't even come close to comparing to what it is really like working in an actual IT environment.

From my personal experience, I have a degree and started on a helpdesk then was promoted to a Sys Admin position and I can tell you that of the people that were interviewed I was the only one that had a degree. I was on the helpdesk for 6 months, while the other people had been there for years.

Plus think of this, if you apply for a job and have 5 years of experience and no degree, then someone else applies to the same job at the same time but they have a 4 year degree and 2 to 3 years experience who do you think is going to be contacted first?

Also think of this, not all but I would say that most places you will need a degree to be a manager. So if you want to be able to move up that ladder at some point you better have a degree.

If I had to rate the importance of each this is how I would rate them from most important to least (of course depends on your environment):
    Experience
    Degree
    Certs
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I personally think you should list those years running those boxes as experience. I also think you should seriously think about getting a degree.
    That being said I believe you should start by putting together your resume and start looking for a position where you can advance. You can even put a generic version in the resume do's and don'ts thread and there will be people here who are very knowledgable in what is good on an IT resume who will make constructive comments on your resume to help you.
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/13582-resumes-dos-donts-guide-line-getting-contacted.html
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I've never been rooted

You're an Aussie yeah? icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have a degree,certs and experience. I got a few certs when I first started out and less and less as I got more experience but always went to school at night or online.

I think you have some valuable experience and show traits that are very useful/needed in the IT world.

I would sit down with somebody with some decent IT experience and go over wha you have done over the years and arrange/mold what you wrote here into a more logical flowing history of what you have done/learn.

Honestly I think your web hosting activities might be your calling. Working at a hosting site maybe while your developing/refining other skills that compliment that experience you already have? I know I have seen quite a few Linux web admin positions that wanted scripting and security/hardening of the hosts.

Might be something to think about
  • Options
    kiki1579kiki1579 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Do you really thing a degree is that important? Everyone I talk to seems to think the complete opposite meaning an employer would rather hire someone with five years experience over someone who spent the first 4 years going to school and only a year in the field.

Yes I actually do, and when you are looking at new jobs, it gives you a little more than just having experience and/or certs.

Now depending on who you are talking to, sure an employer would rather hire someone with 5 years experience than someone just out of school. Think about that for a minute, you actually have some experience, and working towards a degree, and certs would be a bonus. Talk to someone with a degree, certs, and experience, and you'll get a better idea.

I'd say 75% of the job listings I see say something like Bachelors or X years experience so I never really gave that much though seeing that all over the place to be honest.

Ya know it really depends on what you wanna do and where you wanna go with your career. After a certain period of a time with some experience, no degree...and a few certs, most people tend to hit a "plateau" and don't get any further than where they are. My point to you is that you seem to want to do something different and move up. You have great ideas, but you seem to not be 100% as to which track you want to take with it.
    I know it probably won't make sense to you but going to school right now is just not something I could handle, I figure a few certs under my belt will get me a little experience at getting in a routine to study which is the hardest thing for me and then after that consider school maybe.

Actually you make perfect sense, and you would probably get a little frazzled at too much stuff at once.

To be honest with you, I think school would be better for your situation right now. Once you get to a point where you have some free time like during a summer, then would be good to get some certs done. I have a bit of ADD myself, so I understand it's hard sticking to something and doing it. Good Luck!
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I know some people are going to think that I am trying to sell you on this since I am a student, but, Western Governors University may be perfect for you. I am VERY ADD at times (, my Wife would probably say all the time) and I am making it through this program quickly at below average prices. WGU you lets you earn a degree and certifications in the process.

Online University | Online Degree | Accredited Bachelor's and Master's Degrees

If you have any questions send me a PM and I will try to help. If you decide that college is not at all for you then I would choose the best (by this I mean most in demand) certification for area you want to pursue. For the Linux I believe it would RHCT, and then RHCE. If I am wrong I am sure someone will correct me.
    +1 on this. You would be getting certs while going to school at your own pace.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    +1 on this. You would be getting certs while going to school at your own pace.

Not to mention the ability to work while going to this school.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.