New to CCNA

ZyrkanZyrkan Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all. I'm not planning on taking the CCNA exam anytime soon, but I'm doing an internship this summer in network engineering and decided I wanted to get familiar with networking more before jumping in. I only have experience setting up a LAN at home and configuring my wireless router for wifi security.

I'm looking forward to hanging out here and picking up some useful tips and join the conversation.

I'm using the Sybex book, CCNA Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide and it's great so far.

Comments

• alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welcome aboard, you've come to the right place. Spend some time going through the CCNA FAQ sticky, there's a ton of great stuff in there.

Welcome.gif
  • abefromanabefroman Banned Posts: 278
    Good book!

You will want to do some practice tests and labs too.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Zyrkan wrote: »
    I'm using the Sybex book, CCNA Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide and it's great so far.
    Todd's book is a "fun read" and GREAT for subnetting -- and a good start.

If you're planning on a networking career you'll want to read Odom's Cisco Press CCNA Certification Library some day (before the CCNA or ICND1/ICND2 exams -- or whatever the current exams are when you get to them :D). Wendell's books coves a lot of the details you might not need for the CCNA, but it lays the foundation that the advanced Cisco Certifications build on.

Welcome to the TechExams.net forums! icon_cool.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • ZyrkanZyrkan Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks all. Things are going well with the Sybex book so far. I just got to subnetting. It's hurting my brain, but I'm not discouraged yet.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Zyrkan wrote: »
    Thanks all. Things are going well with the Sybex book so far. I just got to subnetting. It's hurting my brain, but I'm not discouraged yet.

It does that. There is more to networking than meets the eye. This forum is a great resource for professionals and armatures to meet and help each other. Be sure to use all of its features, and don't be afraid to dive more into a subject than the book tells you to.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    First time i tried subnetting it almost clicked. Seconds time i gave it a go a light came on.

Make sure you look at the blueprint for the CCNA so you can see whats covered.

Best of luck on your studies.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    I can relate, but I think we all can.

I went through many different methods of subnetting before I found one that just seemed to click. After finding the right one for me, I've had no problems at all. Sybex's method might not be the one for you, I suggest Subnetting Made Easy or Jeremy Cioara's method.

Good Luck