Options

DNS didn't work until reboot

pLuhhmmpLuhhmm Member Posts: 146
Does anyone know why my DNS just stopped working? Im on Windows 7.

I know it was the DNS because google wouldnt work via google.com, but would work via IP.

I tried ipconfig /flushdns and that didnt work but, a simple reboot of windows and the DNS was working again.

But what I found weird is, when I did an ipconfig, nothing came up but "windows config".

Then when I did an ipconfig /all only the regular first four lines came up that come up at the top with host name and stuff.

Anyone know what just happen and why?

Thanks.
Ever wonder what makes special sauce so special? YO!

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Is this a home setup or a work PC in a domain? Could have just been your ISP having a hiccup or if in a work environment the same thing. It may have just been a coincidence that you caught it at a time when the DNS servers were all doing some sort of update or something.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Did the service get stopped?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Sounds like a random windows network stack fluke.

A lot of the time when clients are having weird inexplicable network occurances on one machine. a simple 'netsh winsock reset' and reboot works magic.
  • Options
    pLuhhmmpLuhhmm Member Posts: 146
    earweed wrote: »
    Is this a home setup or a work PC in a domain? Could have just been your ISP having a hiccup or if in a work environment the same thing. It may have just been a coincidence that you caught it at a time when the DNS servers were all doing some sort of update or something.

Its a home network. I have no clue. I just know it was DNS related. Oh well.
    Ever wonder what makes special sauce so special? YO!