Anyone ever fix a broken Cisco Router faceplate?

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
So when I got my equipment last summer, the faceplate for a Cisco Router 2600 was broken off, however it powers off and takes commands ok.

I found this website:

How to repair a Cisco router faceplate | NetworkWorld.com Community

However the will anchors wouldn't fit into the faceplate holes and I wasn't able to get it to work.

Has anyone run into this issue and what did you do to fix it?

thanks
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    cisco routers have faceplates?
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You could try to find smaller anchors. They come in different sizes.
    I've actually got more experience with wall anchors than with Cisco routers..lol
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    cisco routers have faceplates?
    I'm not sure. I don't think I've ever actually seen the front of my routers.

If it really does matter to you then just tape it back on.
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    I'm not sure. I don't think I've ever actually seen the front of my routers.

icon_lol.gif:D

OP... the faceplates are strictly cosmetic... but as tiersten stated and forsaken_ga alluded to... the faceplate is trivial. Chances are (if your router is rackmounted) that you don't see the faceplate! HTH

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    It's actually surprising how **** some folks can be. When I was working for a Cisco reseller, our sales folks would routinely charge customers $50 bucks to replace a faceplate, and they went for it.

3620/3640's are the worst though. Those things break so damned easily.
  • StupporedStuppored Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    3620/3640's are the worst though. Those things break so damned easily.

Yes. I can see what you mean. I just tried pulling at my 3640 at the top and it came forward. Almost like there's nothing holding it in place except on the sides.
  • MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    Its like all newer vehicles today, one screw and a crap load of clips, secure the cosmetics on an automobile.

Though it doesn't look perfect, I use packing tape to secure the faceplate. Surprisingly, when wiring a rack my elbow flies wildly and juto chops the faceplate off. :)

The packing tape is semi invisible, if you put it on slowly and do not wrinkle or get fingerprints on the adhesive. Mount the router high in the rack and mount a switch or wire management directly below it. Customer, Boss or friend won't be able to tell.icon_twisted.gif
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    earweed wrote: »
    You could try to find smaller anchors. They come in different sizes.
    I've actually got more experience with wall anchors than with Cisco routers..lol

I bought the smallest the hardware store had for sale, and they only fit about halfway.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    tiersten wrote: »

I tried using Scotch tape and didn't work. I would like to try to keep the equipment in the
    best shape possible, never know when it might have to be sold.

-unknown
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    JockVSJock wrote: »
    I bought the smallest the hardware store had for sale, and they only fit about halfway.
    Mail order or find another hardware store. I've seen 2600XM faceplates on eBay before so I guess you could set a notification for those.
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Get 3M foam double sided tape. If you can not find it then go to a hobby shop that sells radio control airplane parts and look or ask or servo mounting tape or sheets. It is very thin white foam with extremely sticky adhesive on both sides which allows of high frequency vibration, eliminating adhesive fatigue. Fairly cheap considering, works great and is often used in electronics assembly on coils and such.

Second choice a tube of fish tank repair adhesive. clear, smells like vinegar while drying. Stick several blobs on and do not keep pressing while it is curing, just leave it alone. in bigger tubes it is also used for electronics assembly. Handles vibration and bumps well.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO