Options

TEKsystems - Beware - My Dilemma

Folks,

Look's like TEKsystems is back to it old bag of tricks again.

I was contacted for a help desk role, I interviewed with the manager and the team and was selected for a contract-to-hire position.

It has been nearly 3 weeks and they have postponed my start date a couple of times already. Giving my all sorts of excuses.

I'm thinking there trying to bleed out their commission with the client while paying me already $2/3 less per hour.

I have given up 2 excellent job offers just to get this opportunity with their client.

I really regret working with TEKsystems, I should have known better. Now, im thinking that this deal won't go through and they'll have me interviewing somewhere else!

I will update everyone on this situation; if they postpone my start date again I will go back to my job search.

*This company is the worst when it comes to IT recruiting* There recruiters treat you like some sort of product............literally......I mean it!

Comments

• Options
    forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    Couple years back, I went in at our local TekSystems and submitted all my paperwork to get into their database. The senior recruiter, some old lady, went off on me for, get this, my signature.

I have what people dub a "doctor's signature". It's really just a couple squiggly lines.

She went off about how it's not actually my signature, it's not valid, etc. I told her the IRS accepts it, as does the State of TN, and therefore, it's valid. I never accepted a job through them.
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    forkvoid wrote: »
    Couple years back, I went in at our local TekSystems and submitted all my paperwork to get into their database. The senior recruiter, some old lady, went off on me for, get this, my signature.

I have what people dub a "doctor's signature". It's really just a couple squiggly lines.

She went off about how it's not actually my signature, it's not valid, etc. I told her the IRS accepts it, as does the State of TN, and therefore, it's valid. I never accepted a job through them.
    Most people just laugh about mine (Doctors sig, like yours)
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    forkvoid wrote: »

Our local TekSystems is full of real class acts like that. I've got more than one story.
  • Options
    StupporedStuppored Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Folks,

I was contacted for a help desk role, I interviewed with the manager and the team and was selected for a contract-to-hire position.

It has been nearly 3 weeks and they have postponed my start date a couple of times already. Giving my all sorts of excuses.

I'm thinking there trying to bleed out their commission with the client while paying me already $2/3 less per hour.

I have given up 2 excellent job offers just to get this opportunity with their client.

I really regret working with TEKsystems, I should have known better. Now, im thinking that this deal won't go through and they'll have me interviewing somewhere else!

I will update everyone on this situation; if they postpone my start date again I will go back to my job search.

*This company is the worst when it comes to IT recruiting* There recruiters treat you like some sort of product............literally......I mean it!

If they mess you over... send me your representative's name/number/E-mail/job title.. description/address. I would be happy to make them have an unpleasant month on your behalf.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    For my first IT job with Northrop Grumman TekSystems who does all the contract to hire at this site told me I had no degree and no experience.

A classmate who worked there got me an interview and hired direct, skipped the whole 6 months wait and see that TekSystems would have gotten me
  • Options
    StupporedStuppored Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    For my first IT job with Northrop Grumman TekSystems who does all the contract to hire at this site told me I had no degree and no experience.

A classmate who worked there got me an interview and hired direct, skipped the whole 6 months wait and see that TekSystems would have gotten me

The thing with agencies is... they're outsource. The company doesn't let them in to get a feel for anything. They hardly know what they're talking about when they're interviewing you... even if it's a behavioural (you still feel like it's a complete waste of your time.. but you do it anyways). I was surprised to see an agency hand me a technical test when they themselves understood nothing about it. The communication between the hiring manager at the company and the agency can be terribly slow.. depending on their relationship... which leads to more time in between for you to wait...

I used to work at a farm where they would hire people from an agency in a city 1 hour away. Hell, most could not speak english and look at you all funny. Some had criminal history. Then you get the ones with the attitude. I remember they tried to make me a crew leader to repair wooden crates for shipping out product. I had no previous experience with the right or wrong way to do it and no one to really direct me... they let me drive a massive tractor without supervision without any kind of real test or anything...anything could have happened with that lol... They stiffed me with a kid with a criminal background who had very little education or common sense. Could barely talk to the guy cause he was so unintellectual. Then they stiffed me with this vietnamese guy who talked for a bunch of the day about his kid who he was supporting... then he said he gives all his money away to his wife and kid and how she left him... then he started crying... what the... later on he asked if he could borrow some money... seeing as I was making a big figure of $9/hr to be a baby sitter... I naturally said I did not have it. I thought this was a matter on a personal level so I did not bring it up to the attention of a manager. Around the end of the day a manager comes up to me asking if this man asked me for money. I said yes. This manager, a female, got all upset at me without really explaining why she was all uptight about it. I had no track record of working with people from agencies... so there were no grounds for me to sqeal. The people that came from whatever agency this was... most of them only lasted a day. I could not imagine being a manager having to direct training of people on a day to day basis... sounds like a waste of time money and effort. I think I got laid off or fired from that crumby job in the end... I don't really remember all too well... it was not a happy place to be.

On a continuation of the above paragraphs rant... this farm was part of a bigger farm that I worked at a previous summer. I was making $10/hr. What they do is... they batch hire in spring... mid summer they begin to do batch layoffs/fires every Friday... line up alone the wall... you you you and .. you are laid off. I found this hilarious. I was holding in my laughter like Cartman. I could not believe they'd exercise this... on people with familes... kids, mortgages, real bills etc. I somehow lasted the longest along with another buddy from my highschool... we were so proud of ourselves. LOL we got away with building tree forts... by moving pots around so there would be a pathway to the center of them all. I remember we would have push matches in the center... throwing eachother into the trees that were for sale... all of which was not exposed from the outside of the tree formation. lol total jokes. I decided to talk to my manager and encourage him to allow me a department transfer in the event of either of us getting laid off. It worked... I got moved to the potting barn where I made $10/hr... while everyone else made $9. You cannot imagine how dirty it gets in there... pot runs on a line... stick a tree in the pot... machine drops steaming mulch into the pot... your job is to press it down... it stinks, its dirty and you get hand cramps.... the worst thing about this was the most fun times would be when we'd grab dirt balls from the pots and throw them at eachother.... getting down and dirty... it was somehow fun...lol.. like a kid getting hit by one snow ball and then all of a sudden all out warfare... good times somehow.. miss those days.... then the summer was nearing an end and thats when the batch layoffs happened again... line up ... you you and you... i survived till the 3rd batch layoff this time... i was surprised I was not the first to go as I was a whole dollar more than the rest of them... weirdest work place ever... a true joke if you ask me! good times good times!

The above was strictly about an agency working with an agricultural workplace. The same is not necessarily true about agencies that work with hiring for technology based departments. But I did feel jerked around when I was being considered for a position with the first paragraph's workplace.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    By "they" I assume you mean the Customer you'd be working at....

How is it Tek Systems fault/problem since they'd love you have you working so they bill the customer?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    By "they" I assume you mean the Customer you'd be working at....

How is it Tek Systems fault/problem since they'd love you have you working so they bill the customer?
    You're right it's the client and not TEKs fault; this seems to be something everyone is getting confused on. If you aren't working they aren't being paid.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Folks,

I don't see how this is TekSystems's fault. They want you to start working right away. Seems like the client is the one pushing the date back. If the two other job offers were excellent, as you say, I would've gone with one of them and told TekSystems thank you for the consideration but I can't take any more delays.

How is this TekSystems's fault?
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Looks like the majority here seem to think teksystems is also getting shafted. If you had already had another offer besides the teksystems one I would have taken it. Companies that go through agencies such as teksystems are not always looking to employ through them but to get a better gage of how low they can pay an employee. They know they can get employees below what they pay teksystems (since teksystems takes part of your pay) and the company will just lowball a direct hire.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    earweed wrote: »
    Looks like the majority here seem to think teksystems is also getting shafted. If you had already had another offer besides the teksystems one I would have taken it. Companies that go through agencies such as teksystems are not always looking to employ through them but to get a better gage of how low they can pay an employee. They know they can get employees below what they pay teksystems (since teksystems takes part of your pay) and the company will just lowball a direct hire.

To add to that, a company is going to typically have better benefits than an agency as well. Plus it is harder to get rid of an employee. Through any agency, the client can send you on your way for any reason. With a normal employer, after that first 90 days they have to make a case of it.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    humble2007 wrote: »
    after that first 90 days they have to make a case of it.
    Maybe in Montana, but for most other at-will employment states you can be let go (or fired) for almost any reason (other than one of the illegal ones) at any time (unless you have some agreement to the contrary).

And I'm pretty sure even in Montana they can let you go after your probation period if your work ethic slips if you think you've just gained lifetime employment and stop giving 100%.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Maybe in Montana, but for most other at-will employment states you can be let go (or fired) for almost any reason (other than one of the illegal ones) at any time (unless you have some agreement to the contrary).

And I'm pretty sure even in Montana they can let you go after your probation period if your work ethic slips if you think you've just gained lifetime employment and stop giving 100%.

The thing is, even when a company has a reason to fire you (performance) they are still careful before letting you go. While it isn't required by law to document multiple right ups before someone gets fired, it is often standard practice. Just so that if the person gets upset and sues them because they were a different race, the company can present evidence to throw it out. They can also use it to fight so that you don't get unemployment.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    BigTex71BigTex71 Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I guess I am one of the few that had an excellent experience with my local TEKsystems agency. I was on a 6 month contract and had great repoire with my recruiter, the account manager, and the hiring manager of the company I was working at. I provided and received feedback through my account manager and had great communication when preparing for the offer from the company.At the end of my contract I was permanently hired by the company I was working at.

Certainly I can't be the only one like that. I figure most people with a good experience will not post about it, but a negative one will conjure the typing skills of the 'victim'. :)
    A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCSE | CCNA

Currently working towards MCITP: Enterprise Admin

Current Title: Network Administrator

Actual Job Functions: Network / Server / System Administrator, Tier-3 Help Desk, Jr. Project Manager, and "The Closer"