Options

Get into sys admin position

ALfromSTLALfromSTL Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
Not sure if this has been covered before, but how would a person gain employment as a systems administrator? Is starting out in help desk the only route?

The reason I ask is every sys admin resume sample I see online shows the person graduating college with a BS in IS or CS then getting employed directly as a systems administrator off the bat. Yet, every job posting I see requires 2-5 years minimum experience as a systems admin before you are even considered.

I know the direct answer begins with "Well, in this economy..."

Comments

• Options
    ElvisGElvisG Member Posts: 167
    1) Military

2) Help desk working somewhat along-side system administrators

3) Go get your MCSA / MCITP:SA / CCNA and apply for junior system administrator job

4) Volunteer your time to large churches and non-profit organizations

The people I've seen with no degrees or certs doing system administrator jobs always came from the Military or knew someone.
  • Options
    Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
  • Options
    StupporedStuppored Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ryan82 wrote: »
    +1 military

Not trying to sidetrack too much... but... if you're a civilian looking at a professional job in the military for example as a network administrator... are there strings attached?
  • Options
    sidsanderssidsanders Member Posts: 217 ■■■□□□□□□□
    to do the "fun" work in the gov/mil you will probably need a clearance.
    GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I worked with a few guys who got their experience working the networks in college
  • Options
    netBoogernetBooger Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ALfromSTL wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been covered before, but how would a person gain employment as a systems administrator? Is starting out in help desk the only route?

The reason I ask is every sys admin resume sample I see online shows the person graduating college with a BS in IS or CS then getting employed directly as a systems administrator off the bat. Yet, every job posting I see requires 2-5 years minimum experience as a systems admin before you are even considered.

I know the direct answer begins with "Well, in this economy..."

Usually companies will first hire from within before hiring outside of the company, unless there is no one within the company that meets the qualifications. So in other words if you apply for a Jr System Administrator job you can almost guarantee that there are people from within the company applying for that job as well. This puts you at a huge disadvantage because those within the company already know the network and have worked on it for x amount of years.

I started out at the Helpdesk and 6 months later got brought on as a System Administrator. I had found it nearly impossible to get a Sys Admin job with no experience, so I went the helpdesk route and shortly after got a Sys Admin job.

Like someone else mentioned if you get a job working on the school's network then that would help a lot and open a lot more doors for you, otherwise walking into a Sys Admin job will be very tough in my opinion.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Stuppored wrote: »
    Not trying to sidetrack too much... but... if you're a civilian looking at a professional job in the military for example as a network administrator... are there strings attached?

Strings attached? In the military?
    NO! The military is always up front, and honest!

HAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA so not true.

I would NEVER suggest the military for people just wanting a job. The military is not for everyone, and you are almost guaranteed (especially today) not to get the job you want. Especially if you go enlisted. The military is only for people who want to be in the military. If you are looking for 'free' experience, you are toast.

Some people get lucky, but most wont. If you want better chances, try the national guard. It is still military life, and that could be rough for most people.

You cant 'quit' military.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    netBooger wrote: »
    Like someone else mentioned if you get a job working on the school's network then that would help a lot and open a lot more doors for you, otherwise walking into a Sys Admin job will be very tough in my opinion.
    Most college IT departments I've seen, including the one I work in, are full of alumni that were previously student employees. Working in a school IT dept as a student employee is an excellent resume builder, and if you do well the school will probably hire you when you graduate.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Stuppored wrote: »

I suppose you are asking about contracting as opposed to joining up?

A lot of people seem to equate a job with military with all the perceived benefits it brings to their career prospects when they get out. Clearance, training etc..

If you join the Armed Forces you may be posted overseas and run the risk of injury, death or the witnessing of such. It's something people have to think over seriously before they sign up.

The same goes for contractors working overseas.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Internship
    Volunteering
    Home labs (if you put enough hours into your home lab, you can get an admin job by simply dorking out with the interviewer)
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!