Options

Which edition to use

DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
Is this exam going to asks questions like "you have 300 users who use x, y, ans z. What edition of server 2003 would you recommend for management to purchase?
Decide what to be and go be it.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It may be a violation of the NDA for someone to tell you specifically if they've had questions like this. I can imagine that there would be questions relating to the requirements Microsoft has in different situations. I cannot imagine that this would be a primary focus of the exam though. I will be taking the exam next Tuesday and I have not studied the different versions in great detail but I think if I got a question or two related to what you've said that I would be okay. My thought is that the exam is going to focus more heavily on the technical aspects of Windows Server 2003 rather than recommending what version you should be using.
  • Options
    I was just curious, I had a class on server 2003 and all it did was ask stupid questions like that. Didn't actually learn anything from it.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would imagine you may have a question or maybe 2 dealing with something like that, or maybe none. A lot of what you probably learned in your Server 2003 class you may think of as useless but it may be good knowledge to have as you use Server 2k3 in a work environment. MS has come out lately saying they are going to be making their exams more towards the experienced user which I kind of take to mean more sims and less trivial questions as what version to use.
    In some cases the question is probably going to have some info about what version you use and you must know the functionality of the version in order to answer the question.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    No, I mean I didn't learn anything. My teacher was an idiot and had no idea what he was talking about. Anytime you would ask a question he would say "who is your friend" to which the answer was supposed to be google. He would get on rants on stuff that didn't make any sense and would give contradicting statements.

All of the assignments were just canned microsoft press stuff, and I don't think he even graded them. The quizzes were from some **** program thing that he would give us 100 questions to study and then use the program to randomly use 20 of them, which the computer then graded. It was all just memorization.

He tried to tell me that if you gave someone an ntfs permission of read and a share permission of change, you won't be able to write while connecting over the network (agreed) but you will be able to if you access the file locally. (not agreed) I called this one out in class and we had a 10 minute debate in which he was saying I was wrong.

EDIT: When I say ****, what I mean is that it is some software that came along with his teacher edition of the book to test on that chapter in either review mode (where after you were finished it would give you your score and show the answers) and test mode (that would show your your score and email the results to the teacher's email.) Not a true ****.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sounds like a bad experience with a really bad instructor. Memorization is not a good way to learn as your brain doesn't "build" as many access points to the info.
    That's one of my beefs about people using practice tests to "study". You shouldn't attempt a practice test until you're at the end of your studies and that should be to get some idea of your weak areas which you'll need to go back and review. If you're practicing (labbing) what you're learning and working through chapter review questions along the way you've processed the info in so many different ways that you will have learned the material better.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    bdubbdub Member Posts: 154
    Anything related to this kind of question is most likely going to have to do with the limitations/requirements of each one. Such as how much ram can be used with Standard edition vs Enterprise. Know the requirements.