Options

Under Pressure From Recruiter - Please Advise!

My recruiter contacted me about a job and asked me if everything was ok, the commute, location, work.

I agreed, even tough I knew that the commute would be difficult for me, I thought I wouldn't get any more offers at that time.

Turns out I have gotten 2 other excellent offers all within a reasonable distance. (1 direct hire and the other from another recruiter)

However, I have already interviewed for the job which is located far away and only waiting for the start date.

How should I handle this ? the recruiter will get angry because he asked me if everything was fine. However, I know that I won't last long because of the long commute ?

Please help..........................

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    He could potentially get mad. But in this world your number 1 priority is you. Just try to politely tell him that a new offer came a long. Maybe he will understand, maybe he won't. Thank him for his work and add something like "I hope we can work together again sometime."

You probably shouldn't need to explain your reason for saying you were fine before, but if you want to go ahead.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    teksource1984teksource1984 Member Posts: 100
    One other thing is that I have already signed a non-compete agreement with that recruiter.

But I don't think it's legally binding, what do you think ?
  • Options
    I had a similar concern a few months ago. I determined that if I haven't received a paycheck yet, then I am not employed. And if I'm not an employee, how can I be bound? I didn't use any of the information they gave me to find a job. (It's not like they said Microsoft is hiring, do you want us to set up an interview. And I said no and applied on my own, the other oppurtunity was completely separate.)

Maybe its the wrong thinking. I asked a teacher of mine and he said "You probably don't have enough money for them to even waste their time going after."

How did you find this other job? Different agency or on your own?
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    One other thing is that I have already signed a non-compete agreement with that recruiter.

But I don't think it's legally binding, what do you think ?

Why would you sign something like that?

What did the agreement say?
  • Options
    knwminus wrote: »
    Why would you sign something like that?

What did the agreement say?

Mine just went into how I can't accept a job at a place that I contracted at for 6 months. Well since I haven't worked with anyone yet, it can't apply. If yours is worded differently, maybe you are screwed.

You can always speak with a lawyer. Often they will give you a quick opinion for free or a small payment. (Of course their opinion always comes with a this is my opinon, therefore I can be wrong and you can't sue me.)
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My recruiter contacted me about a job and asked me if everything was ok, the commute, location, work.

I agreed, even tough I knew that the commute would be difficult for me, I thought I wouldn't get any more offers at that time.

Turns out I have gotten 2 other excellent offers all within a reasonable distance. (1 direct hire and the other from another recruiter)

However, I have already interviewed for the job which is located far away and only waiting for the start date.

How should I handle this ? the recruiter will get angry because he asked me if everything was fine. However, I know that I won't last long because of the long commute ?

Take the job that is best for you. The recruiter will get over it!
  • Options
    It's actually a normal non-compete form which is used by Recruitment agencies everywhere.
  • Options
    + what are they going to sue me for ? they can always get another candidate for the job.
  • Options
    And if you are worried about it, just lie. Tell him that some family things came up and that you can't commit to a full time job right now. That certainly can't be against your agreement.

You don't need to specify what came up, but if you feel you need to, say that your grandma is very sick and needs someone with her at all times.

This may tarnish a future chance to work together. Burning bridges is bad, but do your best to minimize the situation so that if you do find you need work that you can go to them.
  • Options
    I know that I should have told the guy that the location just won't work for me.

I'll just make something family related. Altough, I don't think I will be able to work with this company again.

But...........It's Teksystems, there a crappy firm anyway. Deep down I really regret calling back the recruiter after I was contacted.
  • Options
    Even if you don't want to/plan to. Don't burn a bridge unless you have to. Even if you don't ever go back maybe word will go around. Maybe a friend of his will be your boss and somehow your name will come up and he will go "oh i know that guy he was an [incert word here]." Always be curtious and thank him.

The world is a small place. A friend of mine is a college instructor, and once he had a former student as his boss. Since he treated the student with respect as a teacher, the student as a boss did the same.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    "Hi <recruiter's first name>,

I wanted to thank you for the potential opportunity with <clent's name>, but I'm going to have to withdraw my name from the job as I've received a more suitable offer that also happens to be closer to home. I hope we'll be able to work together again in the future.

Thanks,

<your name>"

You don't need to give them any more than that. You don't need to (or want to) tell them who you're taking the job with. Double-check your non-compete but unless it prevents you from working with another agency or some other crap (which it shouldn't and you'd be nuts to sign) you should be fine.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'll just make something family related. Altough, I don't think I will be able to work with this company again.
    That's a stupid idea. Just be honest and up front that you received a better offer and decline to tell them where or how. You lie about it you're going to get burned eventually.

Writing off any recruiting company just because of the feedback of some people (especially when its a large multinational firm), or your experience with a single recruiter, etc is a bad idea. I'm cautious (and sometimes careful) about working with some agencies, but I've never closed the door on any of them. You'd be surprised how many of the recruiters themselves network with each other - you don't want to be the next "looser candidate" they're all discussing over drinks in a few weeks or none of them are going to want to work with you down the road.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Just explain to them that after further thought, you've decided the commute won't work for you, and you'd rather not accept the offer just to find yourself leaving a few months down the road because of the commute, you think it'd be better for all involved to give the client the opportunity to hire someone who's likely to stick.

It's perfectly reasonable, and most importantly, it's not a lie.
  • Options
    I'll just be honest with that recruiter. I'll tell him I got an offer much closer to home.

He'll be very mad, I know it and then will try again to sell the job to me just to get his commission.

I won't say any further then that.

And if he get's nasty, then i'll just hang up.

I'm going to be burning a bridge either way so I hope this will not haunt me in the future.
  • Options
    cabrillo24cabrillo24 Member Posts: 137

It's good to see you're a "wanted" person.

If you like one of the later companies, I would go ahead and accept their offer.

The best thing for you to do is contact the other company as soon as possible with your intentions. They may be a little disheartened because sometimes its takes companies weeks if not months to find someone to fill the position, but the last thing they want to deal with is someone who is going to waste their time. They won't take it too personal, it's business.

By doing this you don't burn bridges. They will annotate this in your file, so if they ever get in contact with you again, they can review their notes and see how come you didn't become part of the company.
    Next Up...
    CCNA: Security (210-260)
    Date: TBD
  • Options
    StupporedStuppored Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□

You sound new to IT. This is evident through the fact that you still have feelings. Those recruiters are all happy and greetful because they're really just sales people trying to make a living off of you. They're parasites. If I was in your shoes I would ensure that I am employed with a company before showing the agency the door. Just be polite, happy and greetful and spill to them whatever lies you need to to shut them out of your life. (unless of course you like their agency and do not want to burn bridges...in which case enjoy the bombardment of questions and persuasions) They will probably ask you certain questions about why, who etc and then remind you of whatever written contract. You can always deflect their questions and not answer them by throwing a question or two their way... there's plenty of ways to avoid their questions... just picture them as that lousy individual trying to get people to sign up for a credit card at your local walmart store as they pass the store entrance.

I'd take Turgon's advice... do what's best for you. I say protect your own interests!
  • Options
    DeliriousDelirious Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have to agree with this. Just tell the truth and any reasonable person would understand. If not at least you will feel better that you did the right thing and looked after what is best for you.
    Just explain to them that after further thought, you've decided the commute won't work for you, and you'd rather not accept the offer just to find yourself leaving a few months down the road because of the commute, you think it'd be better for all involved to give the client the opportunity to hire someone who's likely to stick.

It's perfectly reasonable, and most importantly, it's not a lie.
  • Options
    Ok guys, I will go ahead and do what's best for me and not them!
  • Options
    EmpoweredBizTechEmpoweredBizTech Member Posts: 110
    Recruiters are a dime and dozen and here today gone tomorrow group of people for the most part. especially in a group like Tek systems one doesn't know what the other is doing. And if you the type of candidate at the end of day that can fill a position for them in the future and earn them the commission your in. Recruiters (although they forget sometimes) need you just as much if not more then you need them depending on how hot a commodity you are.
  • Options
    lossolosso Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    a wise man once said,

I cant give you the formula for success but i can give you the formula for failure, Trying to please everyone.

Do what you have to do. It is your life.
  • Options
    StupporedStuppored Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    losso wrote: »
    a wise man once said,

I cant give you the formula for success but i can give you the formula for failure, Trying to please everyone.

Do what you have to do. It is your life.

That's a sic line. I swear it was used in atleast one movie... name one..
  • Options
    irishpunkirishpunk Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ahhh isn't that sweet you're worried about IT'S feelings. lol

seriously recruiters are one of the lowest forms of life on this planet..... any planet.

take the job that's best for you

take care,
    Sean