Iphone V.S. Android

jeremy8529jeremy8529 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
Guys, I have started co-hosting a tech podcast, and one of the guys had a pretty cool story that I think some of you might enjoy. Especially, those of you who are into phone modding. If you like this story, feel free to check us out at A Slice of Tech « Geek Speak for the Masses

Thanks!

"All right so I know most of you have heard about the android being ported to the first generation iPhone, well first off I'd like to say this is awesome; iPhone and Android cohabiting is the dawn of a new age.

But..........

There is many flaws to this method, one is that this will never work for developers. You ask why? Because as with iPhone development androids have some hardware specifics and to develop correctly you need one that is in mass production aka G1, Moto Droid, HTC Eris, Etc. Just think if you found a bug while running your android app on your iPhone, you fix it now it works perfectly(or a close as perfect as anyone can get) on the iPhone, But wait aren't we developing for the Android phones. Hmmmm... now you see the developers issue in this situation.

He/she has no money to pay to get a Dev Android phone which is $300, so now he/she is faced with either just using the simulator, which ask any dev, anywhere and they will say that a simulator is way different than an actual phone, I myself have discovered this too. Or the second option: release his/her app into the wild without testing it on a phone and potentially face ridicule and people not using their app. Or the third option save up enough money to buy a dev phone, which by the way is hard to do when you have to support yourself like many people do. And When your starving for money you'll do anything, like through an app in the wild with no testing.

In conclusion I'm going to say what I said at the beginning of this post iPhone and Android cohabiting is awesome, but really it's just for fun. I would love to be able to run a multiple OS iPhone but right now its just not feasible for your everyday phone.

Send Your Thoughts to edwin [at] asliceoftech [dot] com in this situation."

http://www.youtube.com/v/5yO2KQHkt4A&hl=en_US&fs=1& (link to demonstration)

Comments

• Xargon61Xargon61 Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Pretty cool stuff.
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Interesting topic, but seems like argument for argument's sake... who's out there trying to use a multi-OS iPhone as their everyday phone?
  • jeremy8529jeremy8529 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The average user could say the same about one who dual boots with Ubuntu and Windows Seven. It is part of the, "because I can" factor. It does have a certain cool factor to it :D
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    This seems like the appropriate place to say

Android phones outsold the Iphone in the US in Q1

Apple cried like babies about it

I giggled.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »

I giggled.

Me too.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    I giggled.
    Me too -- except I giggled when I was considering upgrading my Verizon phone (and service) to a Droid and checked out the Android App Store and found I had to get a Droid first and use that to find out what apps were available (but still might not work depending on the phone model I bought)..... icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm on my 3rd iPod Touch 64 since December -- so I'm not impressed with Apple hardware (and the 20+ hours to backup or restore 42+ gigs of data) -- but if Verizon ever picks up the iPhone I figure between an iPhone and the iPod Touch I'd usually have at least one working Apple device -- and one less device to lug around out of my current 3 -- cell phone, Palm Tx, and iPod Touch.

I thought the iTunes store was a joke with all the "high ranked" Craplets available (paid and free) and no easy way to search by user ratings (which are joke considering some of the Ad applications have extreme numbers of high ratings) -- but after trying to get an idea of Android applications that are available I'll have to admit the iTunes store is better than nothing (or the Android App Store web site).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    haha craplets.

I hear that Iphones will be on Verizon shortly. But don't believe everything you hear.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • JapFreak786JapFreak786 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    well i've got myself the Android powered HTC Desire,and it's a great phone!!

2 of my best mate's have iPhone's,and they're ok,but over hyped if you ask me,the Android software is new,but i prefer it so much more than the iPhone.

Another friend has the Sony X10,Android powered again,but it is the 1.6 OS and the HTC has the 2.1 OS IIRC,1GHz processer on both,very quick phones and easy to use

If you ask me,it's now going to be a battle between the two,even with the new iPhone out in a month or so,Android phone's will catch up,and even overtake the iPhone in popularity and usage if you ask me
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Me too -- except I giggled when I was considering upgrading my Verizon phone (and service) to a Droid and checked out the Android App Store and found I had to get a Droid first and use that to find out what apps were available (but still might not work depending on the phone model I bought)..... icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm on my 3rd iPod Touch 64 since December -- so I'm not impressed with Apple hardware (and the 20+ hours to backup or restore 42+ gigs of data) -- but if Verizon ever picks up the iPhone I figure between an iPhone and the iPod Touch I'd usually have at least one working Apple device -- and one less device to lug around out of my current 3 -- cell phone, Palm Tx, and iPod Touch.

I thought the iTunes store was a joke with all the "high ranked" Craplets available (paid and free) and no easy way to search by user ratings (which are joke considering some of the Ad applications have extreme numbers of high ratings) -- but after trying to get an idea of Android applications that are available I'll have to admit the iTunes store is better than nothing (or the Android App Store web site).

There are sites like AndroidZoom.com - Browse the Android Market and download all available applications and games to help out.

I'll be picking up an HTC Evo 4g. It should run basically any app out there android.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    The differences between the market share reports itself indicate they are often not very reliable or should be taken with a grain of salt or at least in their context/scope, and it seems that includes the recent one about Android vs iPhone (iPhone-Android “marketshare” turns out to be bulls). Some talk about the OS, some about smartphones, some about phones, some track mobile internet usage, some base the numbers on unit sales, some include other mobile devices in those sales. And others are just plain biased and 'constructed' by fans. Worldwide Nokia still sells most (smart)phones, by far. I'm basing this on a bunch of those unreliable/biased reports too of course. icon_wink.gif According to some, BlackBerry's marketshare is larger than iPhones and Android combined, and if Android wants to take iPhone's place it would have to eat as much as Windows Mobile's share. Both Apple and RIM had a record quarter as well.

I currently own an iPhone (and develop for it when time allows) and though I'm happy with it, I haven't used a BB or Android so I can't compare the experience (trying out in a shop just isn't the same). I try to be eclectic when it comes to tech vendors, as in I usually don't care about what brand it carries and choose what I think serves me best for the money, so there's a good chance I will go for an Android or BlackBerry someday. Or at least get one for testing purposes.

What 'is' obvious from any report on the matter is that for the next several years both Android and iPhone will continue to have a large userbase and share the pie with other players. Not just for developers, but also for network/sys admins etc. all these different 'mini-computer' operating systems aren't (going to) make things easier. I'd prefer most people use the same phone regardless of which one that is, or at least have phones that are a lot more compatible with each other. Even if technically it would be possible to install Android on other phones, most users probably wouldn't and some vendors will probably include a note in their warranty prohibiting users from running other OSs than the one provided.