Options

Mimicing the TSHOOT Lab

TenisuBakaTenisuBaka Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello,

Would it be possible to create a mimic of the TSHOOT Lab using just GNS3?

Basically, the VLANs and Etherchannels are the only thing I can think of that might be a problem. What exactly can those etherswitch cards do?

Also, does anyone know the reason why they use /122 for the IPv6 masks? I assume there must be some logical reason, like the best practice of using /30 for IPv4 point-to-point links.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you have proper access to all the correct IOS and if the switches could be 'faked' in a router, I don't see why not. I only glanced at the topology once or twice, it seems rather advanced. I would be surprised if GNS3 supported everything it needed.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    NuulNuul Member Posts: 158
    TenisuBaka wrote: »
    Would it be possible to create a mimic of the TSHOOT Lab using just GNS3?

Some people swear by doing everything in emulation. Etherchannel and HSRP have always been flakey for me in GNS3 so I try to avoid it when I can for switching. Now that I have the TSHOOT topology I'm setting up a hybrid GNS3 environment. I'll be using real switches and virtual routers. I'll post the .net file once I'm done later this week.
  • Options
    CyanicCyanic Member Posts: 289
    Nuul, I will be very interested in this as I have some 3550's and a GNS3 PC with an extra dual NIC. I have never played with a hybrid system, but I really have not had to. I imagine if there is a way to get close to the TSHOOT topology you either need the real thing or a hybrid GNS3.
  • Options
    TenisuBaka wrote: »
    Also, does anyone know the reason why they use /122 for the IPv6 masks? I assume there must be some logical reason, like the best practice of using /30 for IPv4 point-to-point links.
    Thanks.

In the BSCI Self Study Guide, there are examples of using /127 for point to point mask. I understand you don't need the broadcast address, but don't you still need a network address?
  • Options
    TenisuBakaTenisuBaka Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, /126 would make sense in the same way that /30 makes sense for IPv4. /122 does not make that same kind of sense. Anybody have an idea why /122?

Also, I just gave the demo a try. I got them all right, but I was still concerned/confused about the last one where the problem was the trunk was only allowing one vlan and not any others. The fix according to the options in the question was to add the vlan the client was a member of. That's fine, but there was still a 'switchport access vlan 10' in the config along with the trunk config under the interface. All other ports also had this as part of their default and were shut down of course. Is this a bug in the demo? I am positive a real switch would not let you explicitly configure a trunk to on and then allow a switchport access vlan whatever command. Should I not think too much and just focus on the obvious problem on the real test?
  • Options
    I did a little more digging on the /127, found this:

IPv6 /127 Prefixes - Packet Life