Options

Resume review please

pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
I'm currently looking to sup-up my resume. My old one was 8 pages and I have now got it down to 3 in a word doc. I tried to put what I thought was the most important stuff on the first page. I took the cert logos out of the top because you guys said it was gaudy. I also compounded my contracting jobs in to one long piece. I'm focusing on trying to highlight myself as a SysAdmin and work toward getting positions in virtualization, specifically working with either VMWare or Citrix XenServer (what we're running in the office now.)

Please don't be kind,
Thank You

Philip W. Johnston, SysAdmin

Comments

• Options
    fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    I would take off the (X years) after the duration, I am pretty sure they can see that from the date range ;)Also "Working on Bachelors" doesn't hold much weight--as others have said, this is OK to add on a cover letter, but not on the resume.

If I am not mistaken, I believe others here have said that any kind of "Honors" is kind of pointless to add; kind of looks like a "look how awesome I am" and might be shunned by employers.

I don't think the "relocated to Philly" is necessary, but if you want to leave it I would spell out Philadelphia to look a little more professional.

I would also rename the "Projects" to "Key" or "Core Accomplishments" or something like that.
    CCNP :study:
  • Options
    pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    Those sound good. Thanks fly351.
  • Options
    ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    Your cv looks nice and short and straight to the point which is what most employers look for but if I were you I would take out that "JOB CLIENT INCLUDED" section I do not think that it is relevant.
  • Options
    The McJibThe McJib Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    pwjohnston wrote: »
    I'm currently looking to sup-up my resume. My old one was 8 pages and I have now got it down to 3 in a word doc. I tried to put what I thought was the most important stuff on the first page. I took the cert logos out of the top because you guys said it was gaudy. I also compounded my contracting jobs in to one long piece. I'm focusing on trying to highlight myself as a SysAdmin and work toward getting positions in virtualization, specifically working with either VMWare or Citrix XenServer (what we're running in the office now.)

Please don't be kind,
    Thank You

Philip W. Johnston, SysAdmin

Whoa, Phil, fancy running into you here! How are things at the X?

Resume looks good. I was going to point out changing Philly to Philadelphia, but that was covered.

I didn't know you had so many certs
  • Options
    TheSweetnessTheSweetness Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    To play devils advocate, I do believe in placing honors/awards on a resume. You are selling yourself, and plainly stating the facts.

Some things to consider though..

- May not be worth mentioning if it has no relevance to what you are applying for (if it is 10+ years ago and high school related)
    - As far as "Who’s Who of American High School Students 1998" -- says who?

Otherwise looks like you have some great skills and experience.