Options

Remote access is eating my brain!

skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
the chapters on remote access and routing is beating me up.

I know why it's important to learn it, but this is a particular area that I never had to really deal with, and the ms-press book is pretty dry.

Any suggestions?
I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    skully93 wrote:
    Any suggestions?
    Setting up a lab and doing it instead of reading about it might make it a bit more easier to comprehend.
  • Options
    Oh yes. I do have a small domain set up at home, and have my router set up to be able to do it. I just haven't gotten to that point in my gigantic MCSA exercise book.

I'm just reading throught the 215 book while I have spare time at work. The owners are going to be out of town for the rest of the year, and this time of year is very slow typically. Might as well take advantage.

I hope to be done with the 215 and 216 books at the end of the year, though I don't have any illusions about conquering the 216 without another source.

Mostly I just want to go through the more theoretical end before I move on to doing some of the labs (because my domain is at home, and this setup is simply pathetic here....).
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Ok, another suggestion: try reading the help files/product documentation in Windows 2000 Server, as sometimes it provides the same information as in the books, just in small practical pieces. You can also check www.techtutorials.com and try to find some less dry tutorials/study guides.
  • Options
    D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
    I feel your pain... I haven't even made it to that chapter yet! I'm just trying to get my head around group policys!!! I have a small lab set up, a hub with 2 Win 2000 Servers and a printer attached to one of them. The problem I am having is just getting started with 70-215. The 1st two chapters are so boring, I hate remote installations I have trouble remembering all the switches and stuff. I was hoping to get my MCSA before next year but I have been so lazy and tired everytime I pick up my book I fall asleep. I just have to kick my butt and get down in my basement and just go through a couple lessons and get my feet wet again. Some parts of the MS press books are so dry, kind of makes me wanna put the book down. Anyway I am using Transcenders, MS press & MS press readiness review. I'm guessing this will be enough along with some white papers. Plus money is another factor, low on funds to book the exam, I book them first then study. so I have a goal to work towards normally .

Any tips advice welcome... Also I read at work but the book has labs so I get frustrated that I can't do them at work.... I guess I could read them at work and do them when I get home, but would rather do it all at once... Anyway enough of me...

D-boy
  • Options
    Oh indeed. A lot of that stuff you just have to have the lab, right there.

Remote installs is another thing I have trouble with, because I've never had to really use it. I'm sure I could, but it's hard to remember the steps in your head and the difference between switches if you've never had to implement.

McGraw/Hill has a wonderous and well-written mcsa book that covers the basics and HORDES of labs for the 3 core exams. If you can swing it, I highly recommend it. That way you don't have to repeat remote installs 3x, and the labs make more sense than in the MSPress books. Saves reinstall time

-- James Thurber
  • Options
    D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
    I just have to put in the time, I built a Lab already in my basement... icon_wink.gif I'm just going to get crackin'... I only studied for a week with 70-210, but I know that won't wash with Server... icon_eek.gif