ILO; Now thats what was missing

slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
Integrated Lights Out for HP, I believe DRAC for DELL Servers, is basically a network interface card that allows me to perform out of band managment with the server in any state as long as its plugged in.

For all you systems admins out there that have never used ILO, once you get it you won't be able to live with out it. I have it on my new HP DL380 G6's and heres what it does for me

1. Allows me to boot a server thats powered off from any connected pc (Web interface)

2. Allows me to remotely mount my PC's Media up to the server, via .ISO, flash drive, CD, ETC.

3. Allows me to hold the power switch down remotely and hard power a server

4. Allows me to view and interact with the server console remotely, great for bare metal machines that you want to load in the rack.

5. Allows me to turn the servers UID on remotely.

Anyway, buy it next time you won't be disappointed,

P.S. you can also integrate it with AD

Comments

• SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
    We get DRAC on all our new Dell servers, it is very cool.
  • qcomerqcomer Member Posts: 142
    We have DRAC on both of our new R710s.

We also have ILO on some of our older HP servers.
  • luckybobluckybob Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    We have ILO on all of our server (HP Shop). I agree in the fact we couldn't live without it. Well we could, but I hated using the HP IP Console Viewer.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Isn't this esentially just WOL (wake on lan) with a couple improvements?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Isn't this esentially just WOL (wake on lan) with a couple improvements?
    No. OOB management cards like RSA, DRAC and iLO allow you to do more than that. Generally they all allow you to do the following tasks.

Remote power on/off.
    KVM.
    Mounting virtual floppy/CD drives.
    Communicate with the BMC to view logs etc...
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Use iLO v1, iLO2, and DRAC 5 at work on a daily basis. VERY cool technologies. Virtual Power is probably my favorite feature. Of the choices, I prefer iLO2 (which I believe what HP has had for a while now). You can also get RiLO cards for servers that don't have iLO already.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yeh ILO is great, saved me many trips to the datacentre.

Pash
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.