Options

Multi Boot Computer, Need assistance.

DracosavarianDracosavarian Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Allright,

A while back I passed my A+ Core exam, and now I am facing the OS Technologies now that I have gotten some time pushed aside to study in my life once more.

Here however is where I am running into problems. I have created a Multi Boot Computer, Given it a primary Partition, and then an Extended Partition which contains Logical dos Drives for each OS I want to study on.

This computer here is using Windows Xp Pro, so no need to go and install this on the other machine. However, the OS tech Computer is using the Following Windows Os's.

Windows 95 OSR2, Windows 98 SE, Windows ME, and Windows 2k Pro.

Now I have run into two problems dealing with this computer.

1: Windows 9x seems to HATE anything roughly over 1 gig of pc 133 SDRAM. Why this is, I do NOT know, but if I have the 1.5 Gigs of physical ram installed in there, Windows 95 and Windows 98 WILL NOT BOOT. At all. It gives me a memory error stating that there is not enough memory to boot the system. Now I did an experimental fix with this by using MaxPhysPage=30000 and the os's would then boot. However...

I could not use cmd or command in the Run like to open up an msdos prompt for the life of me. It just simply refused to work. So...that is the first problem.

2: The second issue is with getting the OS to multi boot period. As of right now it will only boot Windows ME and Win 2k Pro. Every google search I have done on how to multi boot a computer is filled with stuff that I either already know, or does not help me one bit. So I am coming to you guys to ask for help here, since I figure some of you might know the solution to my problem. The main partition has windows 95 on it, the other OS's are on the logical dos drives.

It also does not help that the very text books I was given from my classes, mind you, Procert testing center verifed, contradict themselves repeatedly and severely. For example, in one chapter it states Msdos.sys is the Operating system kernel for Msdos. Then a few pages down it also states, contradicting itself, that IO.sys is the msdos Os kernel.

O.o

Okkaayy...then it goes on to state that in windows xp there is No GO button in the address bar in any application save IE. Yet it clearly shows a picture of the Explorer Shell inside My documents and other locations with a GO button.

Soo...that is my last complaint. Or issue rather as one may put it. Which Text book to study. I picked up a Dummies guide to A+ Certification and it seems to be making ALOT more sense in the terms that it is NOT contradicting itself repeatedly. The thing I am concerned about however, is will that book be enough?

~Sighs~ Too many questions, not enough answers I can come up with, and far too little time to tackle them all.

Any and all help is greatley appreciated.

Draconis