VLAN question

loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
So i'm studying for the CCENT and I know this is probably in the ICND2 test not the 1 but I'm curious about something. Ok so I have this layer 2 switch and trying to create a seperate vlan on a new subnet. Now obviously it has to be connected to a router for this to work since it's only layer 2.

My question is this, can I connect a different router (router #2) to the main switch layer 2 or 3 which is connected to the main ASA router (router #1). Then connect and configure a cisco 2900 switch to the switch the router #2 is plugged into and use router #2 as the gateway so it can use that as the vlan trunk to get the new subnet?

Only reason I would do that is because

#1 the main switch where I would normally try adding a new vlan is too far away and
#2 The second router only has one eth card so I cannot plug it straight into my new switch. I would have to use a workaround.

I'm guessing I would have to tag a port or something in the switch the router and cisco 2900 is connected to right? Anyone have any thoughts?

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Yes you can do that (if I understand what you are trying to say). If you want different routers to serve different VLANs then just put the interface on the switch connected to the router as an access sport of that VLAN.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    Yes you can do that (if I understand what you are trying to say). If you want different routers to serve different VLANs then just put the interface on the switch connected to the router as an access sport of that VLAN.

You mean if I understand say the router is plugged into port 1 on the switch. Then the cisco 2900 is plugged into port 2 on the switch. Set the port 2 to serve as a vlan onto the router (use it as the default gateway) like say an extension to the new cisco 2900 switch?