Options

Salary negotiation tactics?

pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
So it’s been my experience if you give a salary range you’ll always get offered the bottom of that range. It also seems to me that if you give the employers a number they’ll lowball you.

Just throwing some numbers out here, if you need to make say 30 an hour on W-2 or 35 and hour on 1099 do you just say that number and be firm or do you bump that number up a bit because you know they’re going to try and talk you down? If so how much?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I just straight up tell them how much I want. I always have been offered more than that. Could I have possibly made more in some of those situations? Maybe, but I got more than I wanted and that is great in my book. I'm more interested in a job I enjoy that pays me what I want rather than just getting the highest amount of money possible. I used to try to make them say a number first, but then I'd get two or three calls into the process and find out we don't see eye to on salary. Just wasted everyone's time.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    I just straight up tell them how much I want. I always have been offered more than that. Could I have possibly made more in some of those situations? Maybe, but I got more than I wanted and that is great in my book. I'm more interested in a job I enjoy that pays me what I want rather than just getting the highest amount of money possible. I used to try to make them say a number first, but then I'd get two or three calls into the process and find out we don't see eye to on salary. Just wasted everyone's time.

Well you know I'd much rather not play the game at all. It's ridiculous. If they'd just say what the job pays up front they're would be no problems. The company has a number and they know what it is. Either the person wants it or they don't.

Personally I'm starting to think just being firm is the best option.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It all depends on the situation. For my new job they asked me for my salary range, and came in near the bottom of it. Of course I countered with something slightly above the midrange and they countered again slightly below that and I accepted. Even their first offer was a significant pay raise from my job before I was laid off, and nearly double what I have been making the past 6 months.

I would have accepted the first offer, but knew that there is usually some wiggle room.

Personally, I wouldn't have been firm on the counter unless I was already working and making good money and honestly $1000 isn't that much to nit pick about.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sure they might give you the low figure. And if they offer other good benefits, take it. But if they offer the low end, and don't toss in paid holidays and 401(k) matching ect, then negotiate it up or walk away.

Weigh it with if you would like to do that. Some people take massive pay cuts to do what they like. (I have had a couple teachers)
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I know what I'm worth and won't take an offer that's below what I feel I should be making. I have no problems telling potential employers that either. If you are confident in your skills and know you have a specific market value don't be afraid to leverage that. If an employer won't pay you what you're worth than they're not worth your time. eMeS had a great post a while back about a prospective client that kept trying to low-ball him. He eventually told them to piss off because his time was more valuable than they were trying to compensate him.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Every situation depends, but from my experiences I would be straight with them. My current job they gave me a range (ie 50k - 60k) and I told them I wouldn't take anything less then right in the middle (55k). I justified it by telling them that I would need to spend $5000 a yr in commuting costs (from LI to NYC) and that I wouldn't even see that extra 5k. They understood that and offer between what I ask and the high range (58,500).

These aren't my real numbers but you get the point I'm making....
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    I say I want $x, and no less than $y. I'm usually offered $x. Never really don't much negotiating.