EIGRP loopback interface

HardDiskHardDisk Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am currently working through my routing protocols and I keep seeing references to ip loopback addresses.

What is the point of having loopback addresses configured in terms of routing?

Thanks

Comments

• alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The main thing is that EIGRP and OSPF use the highest Loopback IP address as the router id if you didn't manually set a router id.
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    loopback interface is not a physical interface... so theoretically the interface should always be up and available, thus meaning if you have multiple paths to a router losing a single physical interface\path should cause less of an impact depending on your topology.

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    would extrapolate more but I'm on my mobile and the post would turn into one mega paragraph.... and hard to read :p

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • SelfmadeSelfmade Member Posts: 268
    alan2308 wrote: »
    The main thing is that EIGRP and OSPF use the highest Loopback IP address as the router id if you didn't manually set a router id.

correct, it also provides stability for the OSPF election process, kind of like how bridges determine who is the root bridge. Routers use something similiar with loopback interfaces with EIGRP and OSPF, with OSPF, the loopback interface serves as a router id for the election process. OSPF priority is another way to set the election process in a way you want it to happen.

Also for the OSPF and EIGRP labs for CCNA you will often see the loopback interfaces, they are usually there to simulate an ISP router or a router that is not inside the local network.
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Only a basic understanding of how a loopback interface works with routing protocols like OSPF and EIGRP should be needed for the CCNA level. If you plan on hitting CCNP, loopback will start to be brought up more often.

Generally all alan2308 said is all that is significant to CCNA, but knowledge is power!
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.