PC Specs for GNS3 BSCI Lab

ishgotbikeishgotbike Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey Guys,

You have probably heard this before but i would like to know what you are using for a GNS3 lab at home. Unfortunately i cannot afford real equipment now that im married. And the job is not paying enough.

So im curious and wondering what would be a good setup. I read on network world how Odom sets up his. But i would like to hear from you all. Any help is appreciated. Thanks you.
Ish
To improve is to change; to perfect is to change often.

CCNP: Switch [x ] Route [ ] T-Shoot [ ]

Comments

• trackittrackit Member Posts: 224
    I use intel E8400 + 6 gigs of ram, had no problems with it
  • NuulNuul Member Posts: 158
    It depends on how much you're trying to virtualize. My GNS3 setup for the TSHOOT topology uses a 4 year old server class machine, but I'm only virtualizing 5 routers (the switches are real). If you're looking at a bigger topology that also uses switching then you're going to need a monster rig; probably a quad core with 4+ gigs of RAM or more. IPexpert did a pretty good writeup of this on their blog actually.
  • AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    Ive been using it with only 2 gb of ram on my work machine.

If you set the idlepc values, it will use hardly any CPU as well :)

;)
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I can run 4 or 5 routers on my duel core 2gig 2 year old laptop. (Laptop only cost £400 when new)

and it runs fine.

I set up the lab in a VM running linux. This seems stable and never spikes over 30 or 40% CPU and laods of Memory free.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • CyanicCyanic Member Posts: 289
    I would say a minimum 2GB RAM, and just about any newer processor will do fine. A low-end dual core would probably be the sweet spot.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I did all my BSCI labs on an old gateway computer with 1 gig of ram, an old AMD dual core running Vista. I could run up to eight routers easy as long as I set the idlepc values correctly and used other enhancements like ghostios. Now I run it on a laptop with 3 gig and an Intel dual core. Handles pretty much everything I need to do except for a really large CCIE topology.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.