CDP Neigh command question

DerekAustin26DerekAustin26 Member Posts: 275
if you enter a "sho cdp nei" command in IOS on a router and you have 3 links. 2 serial & 1 fastethernet. But CDP only gives you the output of 2 of them.

Why would this command not give you the output of the 3rd link other than the fact that the remote device is not a Cisco device. What other reason would cause this???

Anyone know?

Comments

• SelfmadeSelfmade Member Posts: 268
    What is the fastethernet port connected to? if it's a computer, then your answer is obvious.

If there's a Cisco device on all 3 links that's connected to that router, then it's possible CDP is disabled on one of them.

if you have a router connected to a switch on the fastethernet port, and then you have only ONE serial link up, and a router is on that end, and your other serial link is dead, and that router on the other end has a switch connected to it

you would only see the switch connected to your router, and you'd see the other router using the command, but NOT the switch connected to the other router.

That's the definition of neighbors, it only tells you what YOU are directly connected to.

CDP is enabled by default, so, if you are DIRECTLY connected to some Cisco devices but you do a show cdp neighbors <detail> and you do not see the device on the list, then it indicates a layer 1 or 2 problem. CDP operates at the data link layer, so any problem with seeing a device indicates there's a problem at the first 2 layers.

Remember, incorrect clock signals indicate a problem at what layer?

I'll let you answer that question :)
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Selfmade wrote: »
    CDP is enabled by default
    except on Frame Relay multipoint subinterfaces.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    except on Frame Relay multipoint subinterfaces.

I did not know that...
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    Maybe the no cdp run command on the 3rd interface is on.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • johnwest43johnwest43 Member Posts: 294
    is the offending interface up and up?
    CCNP: ROUTE B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B , SWITCH B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B, TSHOOT [X ] Completed on 2/18/2014