Options

TSHOOT router topology (gns3)

NuulNuul Member Posts: 158
DISCLAIMER: I've gone out of my way to make things not specifically spelled out on the diagram different than I remember seeing them on the exam as to not break NDA. My advice to you if you're beginning to work on TSHOOT is to start your own lab, built it from the ground up and only look at what I've done if you get stuck on something. I did this and I'm very glad; it definately showed me areas I needed to understand better.

The physical equipment:
2 3560s acting as DSW1 & DSW2
1 3550 as ASW1
1 2950 as ASW2
Note: To get the 3560s to run IPv6 you will need to make sure you have IPSERVICES loaded. You will also need to enter the "sdm prefer dual-ipv4-and-ipv6 {default | routing | vlan}" command in config mode.

The virtual equipment:
The routers are handled by GNS3 on Ubuntu 10.04 (dual proc 2.8 Xeon 4gig RAM). R4 is using eth2 and eth3 of the Ubuntu server to connect to DSW1 and DSW2.

The configs (updated 5/21/10):
Switches and routers now support IPv6 - Thanks to everyone who helped me figure out my noob mistakes with v6 redistribution.

The topology published by Cisco (subject to change I'm sure):

IjZIM.png

XP3Ns.png

6RAil.png

Comments

• Options
    qplayedqplayed Member Posts: 303
    a visio would have been nicer :P
    If you cannot express in a sentence or two what
    you intend to get across, then it is not focused
    well enough.
    —Charles Osgood, TV commentator
  • Options
    ChipschChipsch Member Posts: 114
    Ahhhh flashback! :) Hope all is going well with the studies Nuul.
  • Options
    Thanks, I'm feeling pretty confident about this next attempt.
  • Options
    aldousaldous Member Posts: 105
    brilliant idea! thanks for sharing this, i doubt i'll be redoing tshoot (i'm sure i failed beta but cisco still wont give me my resuts!) but its nice to be able to practice on it!

by the time you've finished this your going to be able to walk the exam you'll know the configs backwards! :P
  • Options
    jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    Great work, I will be configuring a completely physical tshoot toplogy soon, this will come in handy.
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Thanks for this, I am waiting on my beta results, plan to do ONT and ISCW. But, if I end up doing TSHOOT this will definitely come in handy. Your hard work is much appreciated icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    GrigsbyGrigsby Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What feature or ability do the 3560s have that the 3550 doesn't? Those things are pricey, even used.
  • Options
    burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    Grigsby wrote: »
    What feature or ability do the 3560s have that the 3550 doesn't? Those things are pricey, even used.

pvlans, and better QoS. There might be more but that's all I can think of. You can get away with almost everything using 3550's. That's what I did.

Nuul, is there a guide on how things are setup? Is there a frame switch? How are the routing protocols redistributed? Are there default routes injected into the routing protocol?

The diagram just seems a little ambiguous in certain areas.
  • Options

The 3350s won't do IPv6 unicast routing. So, for the published topology they are only good for the access layer switches.
    Nuul, is there a guide on how things are setup? Is there a frame switch? How are the routing protocols redistributed? Are there default routes injected into the routing protocol?

The diagram just seems a little ambiguous in certain areas.

I used a frame switch in the .net file, but that was for ease of use. I don't recall what was on the exam...and I couldn't tell you even if I did remember :P

There's no guide, just the pics I have above. If it's not explicitly mentioned on the diagram it's anyone's guess what it will actually be on the exam. There are a ton of different ways it could be built to be honest.
  • Options
    burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    Yeah, well I'm lazy so I just made point to point serial interfaces. I didn't know the 3550's didn't support IPv6, which really sucks. I'm going to have to borrow a 3560 from work for a day or so.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□

Here's a list:

Difference between Catalyst 3550 and 3560 CCIE Pilot
  • Options
    You could always use a router as the DSW1 and DSW2 in dynamips or GNS3 which support IPv6, That's what I have done. It all works good. icon_thumright.gif For those of us who can't borrow switches from work :P
  • Options
    CyanicCyanic Member Posts: 289
    On the IPv6 topology, between R3 and R4 there is an IPv4 subnet 10.1.1.8/30 that specifies .1 and .2. This subnet is also on the IPv4 topology using .9 and .10. Is that a typo on the IPv6 topology, or am I missing something?
  • Options
    I'd never noticed that until you pointed it out, it's got to be a typo.
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    Yeah, 10.1.1.2 aint part of of the 10.1.1.8/30 subnet...good call
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    CyanicCyanic Member Posts: 289
    Since I am using 3550s and GNS3 for this, I was thinking of building out the IPv6 RIPNG as a seperate leaf off of R4. That should get me close enough, but I am curious of how you set this up billscott, 3640s with the NM16SW?
  • Options
    That's what I would recommend icon_thumright.gif. Smart man! I would have never noticed that typo either That or when I did it. Here is my R4 config:

ROUTER R4
    model = 3640
    console = 2011
    slot0 = NM-4T
    s0/0 = R3 s0/1
    slot1 = NM-1FE-TX
    f1/0 = DSW1 f0/0
    slot2 = NM-1FE-TX
    f2/0 = DSW2 f0/0
    x = 133.0
    y = 98.0

I just used a normal setup since your ports to R4 are routed ports, not switchports. That will get you to the point of having DSW1 and DSW2. That's the furthest I have labbed out. I didn't lab out the ASW1 and ASW2. I'm sure you could setup NM-16ESW's between DSW1 asnd DSW2 between those to ASW1 and ASW2, it would get you the "picture" of course won't be identical to the lab when you go into the exam room. But you know that.
  • Options
    fedricfedric Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□