Options

Wmi

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
Much to my surprise the MS Press book dedicates 10 pages to WMI. I am not sure I fully understand what WMI is even after reading these pages. Please tell me if I am understand this wrong. The way I am reading it WMI is a service that lets you locally or remotely control Windows services. WMI can be scripted using VBScript, or Powershell. Am I even close?

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You sound close, but then again I haven't really studied that section that closely. The 70-640 will bring up WMI again for you when you get to it. It devotes a lot less to WMI mostly how you can use it in a Group Policy (You use wmi filters to limit which comps a policy will apply to). It's a very powerful tool.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The Wikipedia page does a pretty good job of explaining what it is. It's essentially a management interface.

Just do wmic share or wmic process list brief from a command line to see it in action.
  • Options
    mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    WMI rocks! I use it all the time - not that I am very good at scripting mind you :D
    Its also handy for group policy - wmi filters.

Download details: Scriptomatic 2.0

PowerShell Scriptomatic
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks guys! I am really surprised by all the features that Windows 7 has within it. This so far has been a big eye opener for me. I am realizing that there is a lot more to a Windows operating system than just installing it, and configuring it for users.
  • Options
    I am really surprised by all the features that Windows 7 has within it.

You can use WMI with Win95 :p

It really is amazing how much more there is to a client OS once you look beyond the day-to-day stuff. I felt the same way when I was studying for the Windows XP exam.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    You can use WMI with Win95 :p
    I saw that in the wikipedia article. I looked it over last night.
    I took the Vista client exam and surprise, no mention of WMI at all in the MS Press book for that exam. WMI isn't new but since it's being incorpoprated into Server 2k8 it's a big deal for Windows 7.
    I'm starting to understand now why people criticized MS for how the Vista client exam was. It was actually a difficult exam for me (first MS exam) and covers a lot of material but nowhere near what the XP did or the Windows 7 test is covering.

Edit: I didn't realize you were that far along in the Windows 7 bookn til I looked at WMI and saw where it was. I'd probably get a good practice test (if there is one for windows 7) and check yourself out on what you know pretty soon. You were mentionning yesterday about only having 2 months to do this, you'll probably be done in a month.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    I actually didn't know you could add that to Win95 until I looked at the article as well. ;)

However, it's been included natively since Windows 2000, so I'm not sure what you mean when you say it's being incorporated into Server 2008. WMI isn't new by any means, and it was covered in the 2003 track as well. Are you confusing this with Powershell?
  • Options
    No, I was actually just noting about how it wasn't covered in the windows Vista exam. Except for what I read about WMI in the wikipedia article and how it relates to Server 2k8 I actually know very little about it. I'm not very familiar with what's native to server 2000, forgot about that mention in the wiki articleicon_redface.gif
  • Options
    Yea, I never saw it in any of the client exams, and that Vista exam was a joke. That was definitely geared towards home users. The Windows 7 exam seems to be much more like the XP exam and addresses enterprise topics.