Options

Hope for jobseekers (shouts out to the board)

tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
i made this post on another board but i thought some people here might be able to use it...
all u guys with the I.T degrees how did u get ur jobs or get interviews because I just got my IT degree and monster aint working for me do I have to physically go and give my resume to employers? I am looking for help desk also.
Tahjzhuan wrote:
you have to basically grind. i felt like I was trying to get into showbiz because of all the "nice resume but, we went with someone else" letters. i didn't mention that I have 4.5 years of IT experience in the air force and some certifications. even with all that, I only had a handful of interviews. you might have to take a job you don't like to get something worthwhile. this job started off as a 2 month contract position with teksystems (I'm in my 5th month with them) . i wanted to get a decent reference so, i grinded a whole lot.i don't post a whole lot from work. they ended up offering me a full time position with the company. in 2 days, it'll be a year since i seperated from the air force. I know staff sergeants aren't pulling 50 G's so I'm glad I got out early.i've been to classes, self studied, and did cbts for my certs. start with one and just build on that.

one more thing, people barely wanted to talk to me with my homemade resume. I had one professionally made for $160 and saw my hits go up on all the job sites. i went from doing IT bum shyt to turning down offers.

Comments

• Options
    NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I got my job through Monster.com. It took me about 8 months after I graduated which included grueling interviews, people not responding with the hundreds of resumes you sent out, the "we will be in touch with you response," but in the end it was all worth it. It's an experience that I went though that makes me appreciate my job now. I stuck through it and still continued to get certs while I was job hunting. Best of luck with you, and never give up.
  • Options
    tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    this board has seen me go through being in the military, leaving early, being unemployed, underemployed, to making 50K annually (down south)....without a 4 year degree. I just want to give back some hope to the board. Those 2 and 3 month contracts can pay off.

build your experience, build your resume, keep getting those certs (the right way)

Thanks for the response NPA24
  • Options
    reloadedreloaded Member Posts: 235
    Tahjzhuan, 3C0 huh? Not bad...sure you worked with us 3C2's every so often. Thanks for serving and the advice. I'm still in the AF, but trying to do everything I can so I can put together a good resume for later.
    Reloaded~4~Ever