Router -versus- Gateway

mariocmarioc Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Basic Router Questions:

1) Is a router technically performing gateway services when used to connect to dissimilar protocols (e.g. TCP/IP -to- IPX/SPX)?

2) Do all routers provide this functionality?

Comments

• Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    well, for the first, that depends on who you ask, it's a matter of semantics. in general terms, a gateway connects two seperate networks, whether those networks are the same protocol.

as for the second, of course not. Alot of vendors have removed support for obsolete protocols.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I never used gateway as a term until I entered voice studies, and there is probably a reason for that.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not even "default gateway"? But, your right it isn't common that you will hear someone refer to it as a gateway.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The term gateway was originally used to describe a device to facilitate communication between devices with different protocol stacks. Cisco's first product was a device like this that the original founders designed out of need.

Today, however, the only ways I hear the term used is "default gateway" or "gateway of last resort," both referring to a specific router.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    alan2308 wrote: »
    The term gateway was originally used to describe a device to facilitate communication between devices with different protocol stacks. Cisco's first product was a device like this that the original founders designed out of need.

Today, however, the only ways I hear the term used is "default gateway" or "gateway of last resort," both referring to a specific router.

Yup, that is pretty much only where you hear it in the data world.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.