Options

1 SMTP Server?

new2netnew2net Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello there!

Random smtp question...

trying to set up my email accounts on a new machine that I got...i got a few different email accounts (school, personal, work, ect)...

i realize that Thunderbird only uses 1 SMTP server for all my email accounts...so this means that if i send an email from my Work account, Thunderbird uses my Personal SMTP server to deliver the message... is this normal?

I mean...why would one company have to act as the smtp server for someone with multiple accounts... shouldn't each account use its own individual smtp?

Comments

• Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    new2net wrote: »
    Hello there!

Random smtp question...

trying to set up my email accounts on a new machine that I got...i got a few different email accounts (school, personal, work, ect)...

i realize that Thunderbird only uses 1 SMTP server for all my email accounts...so this means that if i send an email from my Work account, Thunderbird uses my Personal SMTP server to deliver the message... is this normal?

I mean...why would one company have to act as the smtp server for someone with multiple accounts... shouldn't each account use its own individual smtp?
    Using a single SMTP server usually works fine, is easier to configure, and has fewer problems. For example, some ISPs block SMTP servers other than their own, so if you have such an ISP you are required to use their SMTP server. You can however configure Thunderbird to use multiple SMTP servers. On the Account Settings window, add additional servers under Outgoing Server (SMTP), then configure each POP/IMAP account to use a specific SMTP server.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV