Options

Getting Ready for CCNA Security Study

thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
Okay have a question. I have the following equipment from CCNA studies.
3 2950 EI Switches
2 2620XM Routers with full memory and flash
1 3640 Router with Full Memory and flash
1 851w Router

My question is do I need anything special for the equipment or can I use these items as IPS? I am new to this so bear with me.
CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.

Comments

• Options
    notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    I didn't really find much difference in needed equipment between CCNA and CCNA Security.

The only important thing really is to make sure that you have one router that fully supports SDM and IPS. Honestly, the IPS you can probably learn from watching CBT nuggets videos.

I didn't have an IPS license for my router and that really peeved me off..

CCNA:S wants you to have 2 routers that support SDM so you can configure site-2-site VPN's between the two using SDM.

That's really not necessary since the other router is just going to be a mirror....

If you know how to configure one site, you'll know how to do the other....
  • Options
    Excellent. I might be able to get my IPS from work.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    Not sure how to install the IPS on the Cisco 2620xm.
  • Options
    notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    thenjduke wrote: »
    Not sure how to install the IPS on the Cisco 2620xm.

Well, you need the signature files. The .pkg files from Cisco.

Then from SDM, once you click on IPS, it will try to activate it. It was a pain in the butt for me, I finally got it working, only to find that I had no license......
  • Options
    *BB**BB* Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well, you need the signature files. The .pkg files from Cisco.

yeah, and then when you try to use that file, it requires a .zip format that you cant use lol. What a cluster SDM is. I hope its all over tomorrow lol.
    Procrastinator extraordinaire
  • Options
    geezergeezer Member Posts: 136
    SDM is buggy with the SDF file. You have to upload via TFTP from PC rather than what it tells you initially to upload from you computer directly. If you use GNS3 then you may find the upload looks to be working then it crashes out at the end! Oh the joy of IPS ;)
    I used to be undecided but now I'm not so sure.

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't!
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Where'd you get your switches from? I need to buy a few.
  • Options
    jake trizle1jake trizle1 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    well i think you should get some ccna books with it, so you would be able to use th devices appropriatly.