Options

Failed 70-238

Score was 678.

Actually this was the 2nd attempt.

I've been using the MS Press book - by Nelson & Danielle Ruest "with GrandMasters" and I have to say I have not been impressed.

Apart from the fact that the writing is dull and Ruest & Ruest are constantly plugging their other books (like Vista config guides for Pete's sake!), it does not seem to be a sufficient study guide for this exam.

I've also been using the Measure-Up practice exams that come with the book plus SelfTest Software.

The plan going forward is to do a lot of background reading on sites like You Had Me At EHLO... and Exchange Server 2007 requirements, service packs, tools | TechNet

Any other suggestions gratefully received.

3rd time lucky, maybe...
-- Dan

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So close.

Use the printout to determine your weak areas and study those. 22 points from passing could be doable just from a different set of questions. Take a week or 2 to work on the low points and knock it out next time.

Good luck
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Sorry about the fail, but you'll get it. I remember there being a lot of Free/Busy sharing and GAL syncronization questions, but don't remember how well that was covered in the 238 book. I was implementing it at the time and eventually had to involve premier support and the product team to sort out some issues, so I skipped that section of the book becuse I didn't feel I needed to review their explanation. I highly recommend implementing IIFP or MIIS (now FIM) and try some cross-forest availability configurations in a lab prior to the exam.

One other trick to remember is the exams were written against the RTM Exchange code, not SP1. I seem to recall some questions throughout the 2007 series where the answers would be different if you were using SP1.

Here is the link to my review from last year:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/exchange-server-office-communications-server-exams/43856-passed-70-238-ema-complete.html

I used both the MS Press book and the 237/238 Sybex book plus technet and experience to pass the exam. You could do what some of us have done with other exams and break down the individual objectives and map them to technet articles as a study guide. The study guide is useful for everyone, but putting it together is a great study method.

Good luck.
  • Options
    danclarkedanclarke Member Posts: 160
    Thanks guys for the great advice

This exam is so challenging that I don't feel disheartened at all by the score that I got. It is frustrating that I was perhaps 1 correct answer away from getting my MCITP:EMA, but what the hey!

The biggest downer is having to explain to my wife that I'm spending another 70 quid on a resit (1st & 2nd attempts used the 2nd shot offer - I still have the 15% discount from the MS Press book).

I also find it reassuring to fail an exam occasionally: it indicates that these exams are not mere formalities and that passing them does make a statement about your understanding of the subject.
    -- Dan
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    danclarke wrote: »
    Thanks guys for the great advice

This exam is so challenging that I don't feel disheartened at all by the score that I got. It is frustrating that I was perhaps 1 correct answer away from getting my MCITP:EMA, but what the hey!

The biggest downer is having to explain to my wife that I'm spending another 70 quid on a resit (1st & 2nd attempts used the 2nd shot offer - I still have the 15% discount from the MS Press book).

I also find it reassuring to fail an exam occasionally: it indicates that these exams are not mere formalities and that passing them does make a statement about your understanding of the subject.

It shouldn't be too difficult to justify spending a few bucks on advancing your career. She can justify spending the same amount on a pair of shoes that she is only going to wear twice. ;)
    Decide what to be and go be it.