Options

Need a little explanation for DHCP Authorizing

thatguy85thatguy85 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
All-

This is a practice question from my TestOut software. NOT A BRAIN **** QUESTION!!! I need help figuring this out.

Nadine is the systems administrator for a network with a single subnet. The subnet uses 192.168.1.0 with a mask of 255.255.255.0. The network has 10 windows 2003 servers running Active Directory. Srv-1 currently provides both DHCP and DNS services.

Nadine wants to increase the fault tolerance for her DHCP servers. She installs a new server, Srv-11, and configures it for DHCP. She configures a scope on Srv-11 to match the scope on Srv-1, then excludes half of the addresses in the scope on Srv-1 and the other half of the addresses on Srv-11

Nadine decides to test her solution and shuts down Srv-11. As a test, she forces a workstation to release it's IP address and request a new one. She finds that the workstation has a 169.254.0.15 with a mask of 255.255.0.0 for it's IP address

What should Nadine do to fix the problem?

A) Modify the DHCP options to deliver the IP address for Srv-1 to each client
B) Install DNS on a second server on the network
C)Delete and recreate the scope on Srv-11
D) Authorize Srv-11
E) Remove Srv-1 from the list of DHCP servers configured on each client

Answer is D. But that doesnt make sense. She shut down Srv-11, so why would it be giving out IP addresses? Srv-1 should be giving out the addresses just fine. This has to be a typo in the testing software. I think it's meant to say she shut down Srv-1. Which would make sense since Srv-11 hasn't been authorized yet and it would be the only online DHCP service to give out IP addresses.

Am I missing something here? Or am I right that this must be a typo?

Comments