Options

My study plan for retaking "The Beast"

smg1138smg1138 Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
So, I have a 2nd shot at taking the 70-291 and have been trying to come up with the best strategy for studying. Here's the plan I have in mind. Go through the Test-Out material first, CBT Nuggets second, and read Exam Cram last for each topic as I go. Then, after going through all the material for each topic, I'll do the practice questions. Does this sound like a solid plan? Also, can anybody recommend a good resource for WSUS 3? None of the study material I have covers it.

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sounds good to me. My study plan is generally to read the ms press book. When I'm getting towards the end of it I start watching CBT nuggets. After the MS press I start on the ms self paced kit, and I start doing Transcenders. When the CBT's are finished I am doing pretty much only transcenders and just reviewing the self paced kit.

Just a note on Transcenders. Initially I use them very sparingly. I don't want to memorize the questions, rather get a feel for how I'm doing. Gradually I do more and more, and by the end don't really care if I memorized them, just want to be exposed to all the questions. At the end I often find questions that I think "Well I know the question is A, but I don't really understand why." Then I can take that and dig in to find out the why.

Do not start using this tool at the start of your prep and use it as a crutch. You will just memorize all of the answers and have an inflated self confidence. You will go into the test, and MS won't be using the same question pool.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Also, for the 291 especially, I think setting up a lab and doing some of the labs is very valuable. And if nothing else, just load it up and spend some time going around doing random things.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Super99Super99 Member Posts: 274
    I'm studying for the 291 exam as well.
    I've watched all the videos on TestOut.
    Then I read the MSPress book for 291 exam.
    Then I'll follow that up with Transcender and TestOut.
    I kinda find that Exam Cram is a waste of time.
  • Options
    thatguy85thatguy85 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Personally I'd start with CBT nuggets first, as CBT explains the concepts of things more effectively and gives you a better 'starting point' IMO than test-out.

Go with test-out second. The practice questions and lab sims are really great and help you learn the material a lot better. It will feel like review and boost your confidence a bit. Plus, the exam questions have explanations and whenever I get one wrong, I understand why and it helps me a lot.

No experience with exam cram but I've heard it's good to look over closer to test-time. GOOD LUCK!!!