Options

Brainteaser? or not . . .

SelfmadeSelfmade Member Posts: 268
A friend asked me a question

if a router receives a packet for 2 or more ip addresses that are identical, how does it process the packet?

I asked about ARP, he said no
I asked about static routes, he said no
he said it's a dynamic routing protocol
I then suggested default route, he said no
I suggested administrative distance, he said no
then i suggested parent or child routes
he said no

it feels like he's making this **** up

anyone have an answer?

he said the answer is in the routing table and show ip route
It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.

Comments

• Options
    notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    Selfmade wrote: »
    A friend asked me a question

if a router receives a packet for 2 or more ip addresses that are identical, how does it process the packet?

I asked about ARP, he said no
    I asked about static routes, he said no
    he said it's a dynamic routing protocol
    I then suggested default route, he said no
    I suggested administrative distance, he said no
    then i suggested parent or child routes
    he said no

it feels like he's making this **** up

anyone have an answer?

he said the answer is in the routing table and show ip route

Well the question to me at least seems a little confusing. What does he mean by 2 or more identical IP addresses? Is it coming from the same host? Different hosts? Same interface? Different interfaces?

Anyways,

All a router does is examine the incoming packet, compare it against its routing table and route accordingly....
  • Options
    exactly, he's just asking how it selects the best route

the answer turned out to be that it looks for the longest binary match.
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.
  • Options
    notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    Selfmade wrote: »
    exactly, he's just asking how it selects the best route

the answer turned out to be that it looks for the longest binary match.

You can do a sh ip route "ip address" to find out where the router is going to send that particular IP address...
  • Options
    You can do a sh ip route "ip address" to find out where the router is going to send that particular IP address...

i know that, my friend just was looking for a specific answer

the longest binary match is how a router decides what route to use to send a packet.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It actually uses the most specific route. Which is exactly what you said, the route that has the largest subnet mask.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    This sounds like a very simple, yet very badly worded question...
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    xenodamus wrote: »
    This sounds like a very simple, yet very badly worded question...

trust me, i wanted to brain my friend after he texted me that

I popped that same question on my other friend who is much smarter than me, it has him stumped even after I gave him the laundry list of things to rule out.

Ok, better phrased

A router receives a packet, the packet has an IP address, this IP address is identical to several IP addresses on the router's routing table. A dynamic routing protocol is enabled. How does a router decide which route to use as the preferred route?

Rule out the following as an answer,

static route
    default route
    administrative distance (or metric)
    ARP
    parent route
    child route

there is an answer, you only need to know why and how it selects a PREFERRED route
  • Options
    MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    If he was asking you how the router would route the packet, if the router had multiple matches in its routing table...

Why would you suggest ARP or Default Route?
  • Options
    he didn't phrase the question that way at first, at first he just asked if a packet went to a router and yet had 2 IP address matches, i asked if it would use ARP, he said no, then went on to rephrase the question a little better.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If we wanted to get real evil you could be a smart ass and tell him equal cost load balancing would take place between two identical routes should that be the case.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.