Options

POP quiz!!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    SelfmadeSelfmade Member Posts: 268
    Just checked, it was from a troubleshooting lab

from CCNA 3, the 7.5.3 troubleshooting lab, if any of you are NetAcad students, you can see it for yourself

on switch 1, if you do a show vlan brief, you will see that it's missing vlan 18, which is present on the other 2 switches.

a broadcast storm happens untill you set up vlan 18 on switch 1.
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Selfmade wrote: »
    Just checked, it was from a troubleshooting lab

from CCNA 3, the 7.5.3 troubleshooting lab, if any of you are NetAcad students, you can see it for yourself

on switch 1, if you do a show vlan brief, you will see that it's missing vlan 18, which is present on the other 2 switches.

a broadcast storm happens untill you set up vlan 18 on switch 1.

I must have done this lab in Packet Tracer. I've got the 7.5.3 PT activity loaded off of the CD, but I cant seem to figure out how you would see a storm in PT which is why I'm guessing I didn't see it. I'd load this up on real gear, but I just don't have it in me to fire up the lab when its 85 degrees out today.

Thanks.
  • Options
    ok, see all the blinking lights? there's your broadcast storm

before you fix the missing vlan issue on switch one, fix just about nearly every other issue, you will see the broadcast storm occuring then
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.
  • Options
    ok, see all the blinking lights? there's your broadcast storm

before you fix the missing vlan issue on switch one, fix just about nearly every other issue, you will see the broadcast storm occuring then

Well, I loaded some other activities and it does appear to blink faster than those, but its not really enough to stand out as something being wrong. But PT has never really ran quite right on 64 bit Ubuntu 9.10 so maybe it is supposed to be more noticeable.
  • Options
    they blink really fast on Windows when I use it, it looks like a broadcast storm, when I fix the vlan issue, they blink like they normally do.
  • Options
    spartangtrspartangtr Member Posts: 111
    Ok, here's my answers

1. There are 2 routers, they have a serial link between them, the clock rate is configured correctly, the cables are good, and the router ports work, yet these 2 routers cannot communicate. OSPF is configured on the router, The interface IP addressing is correct on both ends. What are 4 reasons (5 if you're good, and one answer can be split in 2 for the 5 answer total) that these 2 routers cannot communicate?
    Two routers may not form an OSPF adjacency if:

The subnet masks do not match, causing the routers to be on separate networks.
    OSPF Hello Timers do not match
    OSPF Dead Timers do not match.
    OSPF Network Types do not match.
    There is a missing or incorrect OSPF network command.

If you count the hello/dead timers count as 2 then I come up with 6. Mismatched OSPF authentication?
  • Options
    elaborate on what you mean by mismatched OSPF authentication?
  • Options
    elaborate on what you mean by mismatched OSPF authentication?

In short, the passwords dont match.

Lets start with the simpler plain text authentication. We have two routers, R1 and R2, with serial0/0 on each connected. On R1 you type under the S0/0 interface: "ip ospf authentication-key Cisco" and on R2 you type: "ip ospf authentication-key NotCisco" Authentication will fail and the two routers will not form an adjacency the same as if the hello timers didn't match.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080094069.shtml
  • Options
    that's pretty nifty, I don't think that was covered in the CCNA, but that's nifty nonetheless, I've learned something new today.
  • Options
    that's pretty nifty, I don't think that was covered in the CCNA, but that's nifty nonetheless, I've learned something new today.

CNA semester 4, chapter 4: Network Security. Its in there.