Options

ip classless vs ip default-network commands

thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
What is the difference between the ip classless and ip default-network commands?
I am really confuse about this two. I do know these commands need to be used on the stub network.
Let's say this is the network, for example: NOTE: R3 has the route to R1.
B]ISP[/B]: (192.168.1.1/30)]---------[(192.168.1.2/30)[B]R1[/B](192.168.2.1/30)]---------[(192.168.2.2/30)[B]R2[/B](192.168.2.5/30)]---------[(192.168.2.6/30)[B]R3[/B
So on R1 the commands would be:
conf t
int s0/0
ip add 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0
no shut
exit
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1
ip classless
Did I do this right? Can I use the ip default-network there instead of ip classless?
How do I know if I have to use ip classless or ip default-network?

Also, on the exam if you have to choose more than one answer, would the question tells you how many answers you need to choose?
This one is bothering me for a few weeks now.

Thanks
Studying:
Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
Reading:
Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold

Comments

• Options
    notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    IP classless - just enables classless routing. For example if you enable it, and do "sh ip route" the output is more detailed.

if you disable it, and do "sh ip route" the information is aggregated...

If you don't use IP CLASSLESS, then a single subnetwork can potentially block you from being able to get to a specific subnetwork....because the entire network is classified together.

IP default-network is sort of like a static default route. But using this command will work with routing protocols and propogate your default network...
  • Options
    So basically, the ip default-network is better than the ip classless.
    Studying:
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
  • Options
    thehourman wrote: »

No, they are different completely, different uses....
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□

In short, ip classless allows you to subnet. Without it, your router would only have routes to Class A, B and C networks. The only router that I've used that didn't already have ip classless enabled by default was a 1602 running IOS 10.0. Ip default-network allows you to set a gateway of last resort. They're not an either/or situation nor even really related, so saying one is better doesn't really make sense.
  • Options
    OK..
    Another question, does the IOS C2600-I-MZ.123-1A.BIN supports router on a stick?
    I tried to, but it does not have the encapsulation command under fa0/0.10.
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Options
    OK..
    Another question, does the IOS C2600-I-MZ.123-1A.BIN supports router on a stick?
    I tried to, but it does not have the encapsulation command under fa0/0.10.

Couldn't tell ya.

But 12.3 seems new enough to support ROAS. Could be that the image though doesn't support it?
  • Options
    Man this sucks.
    The router has 32MB DRAM and 8MB of flash. So I am stuck with that IOS. I can't upgrade to the higher ones.
    How hard to add some RAM and flash on 2620? maybe a 64MB DRAM and 16MB flash.

EDIT:
    What is the IOS requirements for ROAS?
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Options
    Man this sucks.
    The router has 32MB DRAM and 8MB of flash. So I am stuck with that IOS. I can't upgrade to the higher ones.
    How hard to add some RAM and flash on 2620? maybe a 64MB DRAM and 16MB flash.

EDIT:
    What is the IOS requirements for ROAS?

Can't see why it's hard at all, just gonna have to open her up that's all....

Don't know if you bought it off eBay, but my rule is always, try to get the latest IOS with it, and whatever the max RAM/Flash configuration is....
  • Options
    Do you know the IOS requirements for ROAS?
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Options

Cisco needs a certification on just how to read and understand their IOS naming schemes and what comes with what!!!

It seems like a pretty basic feature, don't know why it doesn't work for you......
  • Options

Its not just the IOS version, its also the feature set. The only way to be sure is to go to the feature navigator.

Get use to that site. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Cisco needs a certification on just how to read and understand their IOS naming schemes and what comes with what!!!

Well, it's not so bad anymore. They changed the naming schemes around to make a little more sense. Yeah, the old scheme of using numbers and letters to represent features was.... very annoying.
  • Options
    alan2308 wrote: »
    Its not just the IOS version, its also the feature set. The only way to be sure is to go to the feature navigator.

Get use to that site. icon_mrgreen.gif
    That site loads really slow.
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Options
    That site loads really slow.

I never said it was a good site.